Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: what finish?

Default what finish?

hey ive got some myrtle murl veneered boards that need finishing the burl is already preety dark not liek the light orangy burl you would expect so im wondering if theres a finish that wouldnt darken the veneer too much.

i like oiling but also have spraying facilities so i could do either any suggestions guys? ps i understand any finish is going to darken timber im just hoping theres something on the market that wont make it too dark

Hi Torre, you're right when you said any finish is going to darken it, Myrtle is generaly fairly absorbent. I would lean towards a straight estapol/polyurethane rather than oils, especialy with veneer. Oils and glues don't always play well together.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Default Water Clear Coatings..

Not all coatings darken with age, you could use these two "water clear" coatings.

A single component coating of Acrylic Lacquers will remain water clear without yellowing.

A two component coating of Conversion Varnish will give you extra protection on your furniture, it is chemical resistant and very durable, it is suggested for kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities.

Good Luck

Mac S

hey guys after some sanding back the veneer has come up nice and bright red again so i think i might go ahead with oiling, most of my reasoning for this is that im not experienced with spraying lacquer and can quickly see how i will stuff up a lot of hours work. the only experience i have with oil is danish and i know how dark that can turn timber are there any oter sorts of oils i should be looking out for? thanks for the help