Default HELP - finishing wandoo

I am installing a very heavy bench top made of of recycled wandoo. It is 3700 long x 900 wide x around 30 thick. I understand the wandoo was originally bridge timber, pulled out of use after around 100 years - it has heaps of character and still has the bolt holes from the bridge, which the guys at Ironwood filled with resin when they made my bench top. They have also made me a large table top to match. I want to bring out the grain and finish the timber with that rich satin patina, bearing in mind this will be a well used kitchen bench top, so the surface needs to be resilient. I also want to prevent cracking of the timber. I live in Kiama on the NSW south coast and I fear this may be a very different climate to the timber's coastal WA origin.
    This novice would be very greatful for some advice

I would think there is little chance of the timber cracking after being around for 100 years. Even if it it has just arrived from WA the climate is not so much different from east coast.

As to finish the local Mitre 10 carries a few brands of good quality finishes.

A 2 part polyurethane would be the most durable for a bench top.

Why don't you visit some of the local kitchen makers and pick thier brains as to what finish they use on natural wood benchtops.?

Thanks for the tip Durwood. I was avoiding using the two pack, it seemed a bit of a cop out and not doing the timber justice.Also not sure that it will give that deep satin patina I'm after. I have used Danish oil on a bathroom project some years ago and got a good result, I was thinking of using this again, but having read a host of the entries on this site, I realise that there are many more options. Any more thoughts?
    In relation to the moisture content of the timber, I would have agreed with you about the two climates and the age of the wood, except that some very large cracks have opened on three very large posts of the same timber that I used on my deck. thanks again for responding

Most cabinetmakers I know use a spray on laquer such as wattyl Isogard. My preferance is to go for 70% gloss which is a satin finish. There may be disadvantages to this finish but I have achieved good results with it, it brings out the colour in recycled jarrah beautifully.

I suggest teh only way to be sure of your finish is to experiment - see if you can get your hands on some wandoo offcuts, sand them smooth and try different finishes on each.

As far as stopping the wood moving - any finish will slow down the movement but nothing will actually stop the timber moving. Given its age it should be fairly stable. If it is inside it will be exposedto a more consistant climate than the deck was.

Good luck

Laury