Hi all,

I have an old weatherboard house which has had many coats of paint and has casement windows which face north. Recently during some hot weather the paint cracked on the window frame joints and also on the framing around the window opening. I am not sure why this happened as we have had some hot summers before. I was wondering what exactly to do with the cracks. Should I wait until cooler weather and see if they close up , then sand back and paint again. Or will the cracks not seal up again and should I sand back and fill the cracks with something like paintable and flexible silicone (obviously not during really hot weather) as soon as possible. I've attached some photos of the cracks which I hope show the problem better than I can describe.

The first is showing the whole window structure, the second is the bottom corner of one of the the window frames, the third is the bottom corner of one of the windows themselves and the fourth is the top corner of one of the framing. I had taped up the cracks during some recent rain we had.

Many thanks for any responses.IMG_3156.JPGIMG_3157.JPGIMG_3158.JPGIMG_3160.JPG
Attached Images

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....