Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School...

Default School...

I have slight beef/suggestion with/for Woodwork at school. Currently school woodwork is 40 kids bumming around bodging up basic hoop pine items using blunt tools and unmaintained machinery.

A big class results in:
    No proper skills being taught eg. Joinery(dovetails etc.), sharpening, design, timber info, machine maintainence.
    A large amount of timber being ordered (and wasted) which means cheap and easy timber is chosen (pine)
    Designs are chosen which will be simple and basic (tables, always with the tables. and mugtrees)

Instead the class should be just a few students, chosen because they have an enthusiasm for woodwork and show attention to detail. With a small class of interested students they could be taught proper joinery techniques, sharpening etc.

Not having to order so much timber would mean different (prettier, nicer) timbers could be used.

*Rant complete*

FC, I am sure your teachers would agree with you but unfortunately the government dictates that school is inclusive and everyone must do certain things until they reach a certain age. This means that kids that don't want to be there and only want to stuff it up for everyone else have to be there still as there is no other option for them.

What you can do though is right a letter to your local member complaining about the ridiculous class sizes and how that impacts on your learning and so your chances of employment in your field of choice once you finish school. Nothing will happen until more people do it.

For example, the WA gov is currently squeezing teachers via refusing to negotiate on a new EBA in addition to refusing to release a report that was commissioned early last year into education in the state. It has got to the stage where they were getting that much egg on their face about it they released the report today. It will be interesting to see what the news has to say tomorrow about the contents of the report. Whether it causes change within the system here is another question, but we can not but try - write a letter young friend!

Dont worry, i did an apprenticeship as an electrician a while back, and they never taught us to maintain tools/machinery or equipment, even how to use them! Most of the skills i have learnt have come from interactions with others, and my carpenter brother and grandfather, and my toolmaker father.
    If you are keen and have a teacher who still cares and is passionate about his work, why not approach him about yourself (and possibly others who are interested) to see if you can do more interesting projects, even if it requires some out of hours commitments.
    Back in the day when i was at school, we could take shop as a night class, and creativity was encouraged, providing you met the standard assessment criteria.

I think one of the problems is that you have a good knowledge of woodwork.

Schools are there to teach people new things. They have trouble coping with people who already have expertise in the subject.

Ever seen kids start at school already able to read? They soon lose it.

FC, you sound like a smart chap, dump the woodwork and have a go at studying something that it's hard to teach yourself, for example; something like physics as it is often too counter intuitive so it doesn't make sense the first or even second or third time around. You will learn a lot about how things work at a very deep level and how to measure and test things in a very systematic way - this then becomes something you can apply to almost everything, especially something like engineering. and including WW (I use it all the time in my ww and mw projects) .

Don't worry if you don't understand much - it grows on you - deep understanding of something complicated is worth knowing and even if you only end up understanding half of it, even that it is worth knowing.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post

Instead the class should be just a few students, chosen because they have an enthusiasm for woodwork and show attention to detail. With a small class of interested students they could be taught proper joinery techniques, sharpening etc.

at my school, WW is compulsary (and MW too) in years 7 and 8. then you CAN choose it as an elective in yr 9 and 10 where you move on from basic joinery (glue and nails) to M&T, dowells, biscuits, mitres and all that jaz. then in yr 11 and 12, basically you choose what you want to learn because you design your major project and the teachers want you to do the best you can so they teach you the right things on an individual basis or small group (so if you wanted to use DT, they'd teach you that).

i'm not sure how they go about teaching about sharpening and machinery care...i imagine they would from yr 9 onwards but it wouldnt surprise me if its something they only teach if they get asked!

Is this how it works in your school? (being in QLD and all, it may be different)
    S T I R L O

I see that nothing has changed in that dept. since I was there, 30+ years ago...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    I see that nothing has changed in that dept. since I was there, 30+ years ago...
    And 20 years before that.

But FC and stirlo are already ahead of me, as I took the academic path. Didn't really learn sharpening until a few years ago, and still a ways to go.

Bucky Fuller referred to schools as the "stupidity factory." A bit unfair, though. The best thing you learn in school is how to teach yourself the stuff they don't teach.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    And 20 years before that.

But FC and stirlo are already ahead of me, as I took the academic path. Didn't really learn sharpening until a few years ago, and still a ways to go.

Joe
    hmm, i havent done WW at school since yr 8 and i have no idea how to sharpen stuff properly (just adequetly)...i'm like you and do the brainy subjects at school (3unit maths, physics, chem etc).

i like your quote too in a few subjects, you are expected to teach yourself (multimedia comes to mind, history to an extent as well).
    S T I R L O

Quote Originally Posted by ss_11000 View Post
    i like your quote too in a few subjects, you are expected to teach yourself (multimedia comes to mind, history to an extent as well).
    That's true for everything in some form or other. You can read about it, or someone can tell or show you how to do something but ultimately you have to assimilate this within your own understanding of the world. For some subjects this is easier than others. A good teacher also inspires and shows you how to learn as much as what to learn.

Young Mr Chicken,

I too am like Skew and yes back then clases were the same as they are now.

I went off and did the maths, physics, chemistry ....thing, so woodwork became a hobby not a career.

But then I was a bit luckier than some others as I had a grandfather that was a builder and an uncle that was a carpenter & joiner and that's where I learnt nearly all of the tool maintenance part of woodwork.

Write to your local member expressing your concerns (it probably won't get to far) and get others to do the same (now they might take some notice but still do nothing). It's not until it's out there in the public eye that anyone will openly talk about it. (Skill shortage comes to mind, but it will still be left on the backburner of politics)

If you are really serious about woodworking as a career then talk to your teacher , don't whinge to him (cause it's not his fault). Then find some other carpenters in your area and go talk to them. Hell, they might even impart some knowledge on to you.

Basically it's a case of teach yourself but then you can teach yourself bad habits. That's why you also need the guidance of others (not necessarily only your teacher).

That's why this forum exists.

Keep at it you will get there and we are always here.

Steve

I know where funkychicken is coming from. I still can't believe it when I'm using a Terry Gordon plane that I'm actually doing it. I was so turned off using hand tools at school. We always waited till the teacher wasn't looking and used the disc sander. Somehow he could always tell??

At the other extreme to what funkychicken is referring to are the fine woodwork courses that are offered around the country. They are preaching to the converted but it is an opportunity to show the real love of working with wood and the inherent beauty of (some) tools.

In my class (yr 5&6) i cut my losses and they do set items. Sliding lid box, biplane, spice rack, bomber, jewellery box. It's all step by step and the good ones help the others and if a kid is really worried they can put it all in the 'pixie box'. I always allow one of the more able kids who finishes early to make something special or out of some special timber. The others can see that it can be done.

Graham

[quote=BobL;756160]FC, you sound like a smart chap, dump the woodwork and have a go at studying something that it's hard to teach yourself, for example; something like physics as it is often too counter intuitive so it doesn't make sense the first or even second or third time around. [quote]

I actually find physics a lot easier than woodwork.

This thread is interesting, because it's just like it was when I was at school. I took to metalwork like a duck, couldn't get wood to work at all. Now decades later I'm having another go. So far can still count to ten

Missing the point I feel

These are trained teachers who are neglecting their responsibilities SAFETY, OH&S & Workcover regulations it is paramount to laziness. These are not teachers well I hope they are not just someone taught to teach from a text book even if they are this shows the level of competancy students and furture employers and workers have to put up with a sad state of affairs QLD is not alone.

Everyone knows dull edges are more dangerous than sharp ones.

Check what the teacher is buying in and like we did back in the late 60's discovered the wood we were supposed to be getting he was was using himself or giving to friends.

This after all is your and your parents Tax money and fee's if you have to pay for it.

As suggested write a letter of complaint to local member, Federal Member, Education dept and OH&S & Workcover send copies to the headmaster as well and keep copies for yourself.

Size of the class is nothing we had that many back in the late 60's a poor excuse sorry no time for maintenace andnot qualified or haven't been trained then they shouldn't be in that position. If it ouside contractorswho are supposed to maintain then find someone who'' do it

You see I like to work in a calm, idiot free environment. School woody is exactly the opposite, it's full of people who have no interest in woodwork or doing a quality job. I sometimes wonder about safety around these students. Stupity + Machinery = Yikes

The teacher is a good bloke, he was a cabinet maker so he's got knowledge. He's not fine furniture minded like me (he uses chipboard) but he's a good teacher.

School is actually working for me for once, They're allowing me to use their equipment for some projects of mine. No more Hoop Pine Coffee Tables!

Funky C