Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default how do I stop Danish Oil from turning to jelly

Hi,

Any ideas from the experts here on how to stop Danish Oil from turning to jelly after it has been opened, used, closed, on numerous occasions.

When it gets close to the bottom it tends to turn into jelly.

It's too expensive to waste,

Regards
    Paul

Keep shaking the can everytime you pick up the can to keep the oil mixed.

Decant what you need to use into a smaller container so you do not contaminate the oil. do not pour the excess back in

Do not put the rag you are using over the open end of the can as the dirt that is on the rag will contaminate the oil.

Put the lid on as soon as you have decanted out what you need.

Fill the can with marbles to lessen the amount of air in the can.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

I have been told you can put it in an empty wine cask (bladder) to keep the air out ..... to save having to drink wine from a bladder you can also get water at the supermarket in a bladder which is a better option.

I haven't tried it yet but will when I get a new tin of DO.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I do as Jim has suggested with the marbles. The marbles also help when you shake the can (gently) before each use or when ever you walk past the container.
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Air is the enemy.

Especially for DIY people like me who can go ages without using stuff.

I just had a quarter of a can of Floorseal go to jelly.

In the past, I have decanted stuff into smaller containers, but that's annoying.

What I have also done is this:

1. Sit the can on a piece of thick plastic sheet (that orange builders stuff is fine)
    2. With a Stanley knife, cut out a circle the shape of the can.
    3. Open the can and sit the plastic circle on top of the liquid.

That stops the air getting to it. It's possible to use the same circle over and over if you're careful getting it out, but it's easy to make other ones - takes seconds.

thanks gentlemen, for your replies,...........very much appreciated,

Regards
    Paul

If globules have started to form you can try this: strain them out through a stocking; then add a bit of White Spirits to thin the liquid. This extends the life a little but test the mixture on scrap before tackling anything serious with it.
    Cheers, Ern

I do the marble trick myself, but once the can is full of marbles and the oil level starts to drop again it's time to decant into a smaller container.

Otherwise when it goes off - and it will - it and can be a right PITA trying to get a full set of marbles back.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Default maybe

Hi guys,

Danish oil is made from either tung oil or some sort of linseed oil, I wonder if you could look on the tin to see which is which then perhaps it might work to add a little more of the base oil and give it a stir, might work!

Regards...Oddjob1

The tins usually don't disclose the ingredients ... for fear of disappointing at a guess.

You can assume they have some kind of oil along with resins and a solvent. Once the air gets in and starts a reaction there's nothing you can do to reverse it.

The only long-lasting brand I know of is Organoil DO. That however dries flat IME.

I tried the marble method and found I needed a bunch of them for a 500ml can and like Skew I found salvaging them a PITA. Now I buy smaller cans as needed.
    Cheers, Ern

There's a product called bloxygen. Befor closing the tin spray a little into the tin and it will block out the oxygen so it will keep it nice and fresh. I figure the bloxygen is denser than oxygen so it creates a seal. Hope this helps.