Hi All

Hubby is away working so i have been doing some research for renos.

We are looking at enclosing our balcony to make it our kitchen. There is a another balcony above it which is exactly the same so we wont need to do any roofing.

We were looking at bricking but i have read on here about hebel. Have searched on the web and it looks interesting. I think we would have had a problem getting a brickie to come out and do a wall which will be around 20sqm. Our balcony is part of the slab and is on our second story. House is three stories.

So i have a few questions.

Can the frame be attached straight onto the slab and then the hebel is attached? From what i have read you have a damp course. But would we need this as not on the ground. This is what i am getting from the research that i have done.

How do you stop leaks if straight onto the slab?

Can the windows then be installed straight onto the top of the hebel?

For the plumbing do you just cut a whole in the hebel for the pipes?

Have a friend who is a cabinet maker. Is this something he should be able to do? Make the frame and then with our help install the panels.

This looks like a really cost effective way of enclosing the balcony. We have been given some really outrageous quotes for our renos. Hardest thing for us is we dont have access to the house until jan as it is leased.

Sorry for all the questions. From Perth and this type of building is not common at all. Double brick here.

Okay been doing major thoughts so on to the next question.

Thanks all for your help.

Caz

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...