Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Finishing MDF?

Default Finishing MDF?

Hi All

I have just started using this site and wanted to ask a question about painting MDF. I Made up some doors That i am currently painting in enamel with a HVLP spray system. As i no expert when it comes to painting i just wanted to know if there is a different product that i can use that will give me a coloured finish that is durable and that might not need so long to dry. I have read something about lacquers being quick drying. Excuse my ignorance on this topic but is a lacquer used on solid timbers for a clear finish? Or can i get them in colours to paint on MDF similar to what i am doing with the enamel? If i use a water based paint is there a clear finish that i can use to spray over it to give me a durable finish. I dont really want to use 2 pak as i dont have a spray booth.

Are there any small spray booths avaliable on the market that would fit into a small workshop say approx. 3 or 4 mtrs squared?

Any help much appreciated

MDF is best undercoated before top coating with colour. It's very porous and top coat will not stick to it very well, especially on the edges. Sand well before you do anything.
    Single Polyester undercoating is widely used for Kitchen doors.

You can tint Lacquer if that's the finish you're after. Use a sealer before you do though.
    Lacquer and sealer dries fairly quickly. Best used with large spray gun nozzle i.e. 1.7-2.0mm. Make sure you set the correct max air pressure for a HVLP gun for a good finish.

It may not be cost effective for a booth in the garage. Not even sure if they come in that size. Our open booth is 6m x 3m and was 4K second hand. You require council approval also.