Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Photo posting whinge.

FWIW, which is likely nothing, I am entering a plea for all members to please, please, please upload their photos to the forum and not use sites like photobucket, etc. There have been 2 or 3 recent threads I would like to have followed but all the scrolling to and fro made my head hurt and I gave up.

There is not much in life more frustrating than a thread whose width is wider than the screen resolution. Stop it! With all due respect, please stop it. It's just not that much more trouble.

Forum admins, please make a rule. [on my knees smiley].
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    FWIW, which is likely nothing, I am entering a plea for all members to please, please, please upload their photos to the forum and not use sites like photobucket, etc. There have been 2 or 3 recent threads I would like to have followed but all the scrolling to and fro made my head hurt and I gave up.

There is not much in life more frustrating than a thread whose width is wider than the screen resolution. Stop it! With all due respect, please stop it. It's just not that much more trouble.

Forum admins, please make a rule. [on my knees smiley].
    Bob, please direct me to the "2 or 3 recent threads" that are causing you such angst.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Bob, please direct me to the "2 or 3 recent threads" that are causing you such angst.
    Well, here is one, just for fun:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=90862

Cheers,

Bob

OK, had a look at that thread. It has LOTS of pictures in it, all except one adhere to the forum maximum of 800 pixels width (actually most are 640 pixels wide).

Yes, there is on that is 1024 pixels wide, and it has slipped under our radar apparently.

I for one try to pick up any externally hosted photos that are over 800 pixels wide and then ask the poster to reduce it or it gets deleted.

Whilst I sympathise with your plea, I have my screen resolution set to 1024x768 and these 1024 wide pictures don't cause me to thave to scroll. But we are very aware that not everyone has that width of screen set, hence our insistence on 800 pixels wide.

There is a bright side to the external hosting though, the thread you highlighted would be very much harder to follow with the pictures at the bottom in thumbnails rather than in the right place in the body of the text.

I will ask the poster of the offending pic to reduce it in size.

Ta.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    There is a bright side to the external hosting though, the thread you highlighted would be very much harder to follow with the pictures at the bottom in thumbnails rather than in the right place in the body of the text.
    DJ has just reminded me that it is possible to post the thumbnails in the body of the text.

He has written a very good thread about posting pics, see here

https://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760

If those pics don't fit on your monitor it must be very old or you have the resolution set very low Maybe you need to get a better graphics card or monitor>either are not very dear >You spend a lot of time on this site so It would be well worth it.
    Personally I think 800 x 600 is a bit out of date with the cheap gear and fast internet we deserve better pics of some things not worse in 2009.
    Last edited by RETIRED; 6th April 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: GRRRRR.
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

A very proud mother once attended Sandhurst for her son's passing out parade. As the squad of new soldiers marched past, the woman said aloud to the rest of the on-looking parents "Oh look! Everyone's out of step except for my Johhny!"
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Personally I think 800 x 600 is a bit out of date with the cheap gear and fast internet we deserve better pics of some things not worse in 2009.
    Not everyone has or can get fast internet.

Last time I looked nearly 30% of people were still stuck on dialup
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Not everyone has or can get fast internet.

Last time I looked nearly 30% of people were still stuck on dialup
    You're dead right.

The forum pic size is 800 x 600 and that's that. We have enough trouble with large photo files loading seamlessly as it is, without adding the burden of extra large files to those who already have slow download problems. The forums are for everyone and not just those who have access to the better computers, ubeaut monitors, fast servers, etc.

Hey Boss
    If your talking about me.My 5 year old computer and monitor handles all with ease.I dont need a new ubeaut computer.

i spent an hour trying to upload photos yesterday, could not do it, give up in the end, it works perfectly when i upload to ebay.

does this website have the same format as ebay?

regards, justin

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    If those pics don't fit on your monitor it must be very old or you have the resolution set very low Maybe you need to get a better graphics card or monitor>either are not very dear >You spend a lot of time on this site so It would be well worth it.
    Mate, I freely admit my 19" flat panel monitor set at 1024 X 768 is getting old at 18 months, but I still didn't get the pic in the screen.
    Cheers,

Bob

Mate, I freely admit my 19" flat panel monitor set at 1024 X 768 is getting old at 18 months, but I still didn't get the pic in the screen.
    Something doesn't add up here, that pic was 1024 wide so should fit on your screen.

I only have a 15" notebook set to 1024 and it fitted on there.

Anyway, it has now been resized so you should be able to enjoy it now without any aggravation

I cant help you then.Your gear is OK then.I actually have 2 computers or more
    and have had them on to check this out.My 17" flat handles it easily,no scrolling at all.
    The 22" WS HD monitor romps it in but is HD widescreen.
    If my 17" handles it your 19 should .Do you have trouble with any other sites on the net that you could name or can you capture your screen and post it?