Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Rendering

Question Rendering

Hi All

I have rendered a few diffrent things including my house, i am always hearing diffrent ways to mix render EG: use lime dont use lime use bondcrete dont use bondcrete this much cement that much sand

Just trying to get some ideas if any one has had experiance with there mix.

Thanks

Tim

Hi
    Looks like no one is going to give this a go, so I will.
    I am not a renderer, but a brickie, so if I dont get it right at least I tryed.
    Most mixes are 6 sand to 1 cement, plus its supposed to be 1 lime as well.
    The lime content will vary, depends on the sand type, but as rendering sand is supposed to be sharp, ie: washed, the mix should be 6:1:1.
    If you use brickies sand you will have all kinds of problems because there is too much clay in it, and it will make the trowel drag.
    As for bondcrete, some use it, some dont. I'm pretty sure its only PVA glue anyway, but I might be way off on that, but thats what it smell like.
    I have used PVA glue in render with no adverse effect, paint some on the wall first, as well as putting it in the mix.
    I must say I was realy suprised at how hard the mix with PVA in it went..

Cheers, Allan

Default Update

I actualy read the back of the cement bag today, Render 3.1.1.
    If you put that much ( 3 to 1 ) cement into a mix, you wont need all that much lime.

Al

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply

i have done my place and didnt use lime i used chemstic ( same as bondcrete) and it worked well but it seems the lime mix is a lot fluffier and easier to use.

I read the lime bag yesterd and it said 6:1:1 so as i said in the original post, the mix's just seem to vary heaps, i suppose as long as it stays on the wall that is all that matters.

cheers

tim