Hi all,

I am currently in the process of starting building a privacy screen and need some advices regarding the posts I will choose.
First of all, the posts will not go into the ground but they will rest on a decking and will be bolted against existing redgum posts.
The redgum posts are from the old fence and are about 1m high about the decking.
I will bolt 2.5m high new posts on the existing ones. The redgum posts are not too big, probably 9cm x 4.5cm. I am planning to bolt pine posts a bit bigger and will screw the decking boards on these new posts. for costs reason - since I paid a little fortune for the merbau - I will choose pine posts (also nobody will see them anyway).
I have see on the brochure of one timber retailers as well as bunnings that there are different grading such as F7, H3, etc....
My question is pretty simple:
which grading I should choose for these posts which will be outside all the time and have no weather protection?
Also even if it is treated pine or cypress, do I still need to apply a coat of protecting paint/varnish?
Finally should I choose pine/cypress or is there a better alternative - within reasonable price range?

Thanks for your help

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...