Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yesterday's storm

I hope everyone down in Brissy weathered the storm well without much heartache or damage.

Also hope the tree's which mother nature felt the need to bring down, will get a proper respectful slicing up instead of burial, cremation or worse still chipping.

Up here, we had a fair bit of rain (30mm in 15 mins) but the wind was worse, really blowing, I was a bit worried about one of our roofs which is still yet to get is last row of screws on

Apparently, a bit further south - Tamborine way copped a battering.

Again hope everyone here got through ok.
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

We missed out on the worst of it, although power was out for a couple of hours in the mid afternoon. Had about 20mm of rain, some gusty wind but no trees down, and a good lightning show.
    The main system moved through south of us, then swept up the coast. I was following it on the BOM radar, and when it got to that Tamborine area I could see widespread rain in the black, (most intensive) and knew they were copping a right bucketting! The creeks and waterfalls would be looking good there now.
    Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

You Brisbanites bragging about your fine weather again?

(hope no-one got washed away)

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    You Brisbanites bragging about your fine weather again?

(hope no-one got washed away)
    They reckon it was the worse storm in 25 years, I was living down there when they had that one & it was a pearler.

It was one of my boys birthday yesterday & when I rang him last night, he & his brother & sister were sitting in the dark eating Thai take away 'cos there was no power & there was crap all over the roads so not easy to drive anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...17/2421265.htm

They lost power to 230,000 homes & this morning there were still 70,000 without power.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    .... (hope no-one got washed away)
    A 20yo man got drowned in a stormwater drain/pipe, I don't know the details.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

It was wild alright. Last night I carved up a Poinciana to get it off the road, boardshorts and barefoot, not the safest I know. Today, I've just spent the last few hours dismantling two 20m Tallowwoods into manageable but still heavy sections. I also lost a small Illawarra Flame Tree that I'm keen to use my green woodworking skills on. There is a ton of Lemon Scented Gum down in the nearby park.

I plan to play with my Alaskan but I cannot get back to them for a week or two. Is Tallowwood suitable for slabing for bench seats and the like? I'm definitely a newbie in all things timber so it will be a learning exercise.

I also lost 19 Silver Perch from my Aquaponics system With no power for 9 hours, they died due to oxygen deficiency. They would of been ready for the dinner table late Summer.

cheers
    Derek

Hey Derek, I know how you feel about your silver perch. the last real rain we got, flooded our dam and my 100 perch went for an excusrsion, 'cept they must have missed the boat back

What park is close to you? the gums any decent size?

Definately worth chucking your bar through tallowwood, it's not like pines, it won't get a heap of stain in it as a log, so you can cut it at your leisure
    Allan.

The Tallowwoods are about 600mm at the base and the gums about 300-400mm. It's a young park so the timber is not overly large. All the trees fell inwards into the park, not into the fence and houses behind, very lucky. I struggled with the Tallowwoods, moving them without machinery is hard work. We didn't move them far because I thought I'd mill them where they fell.

Default Aquaponics

Without hijacking this thread, I'd thought I'd post a picture of my aquaponics system to explain my earlier comments. It's like hydroponics except fish waste provides the nutrients. So you get to eat fish and veges. I have Silver Perch but friends have Barra, Trout, Murray Cod etc.

Hey Derek, most of your Silver perch look to be about 12 months old, is that right?

I really like the info on silvers, was looking forward to catching a few for Good Friday, not to be Also was looking forward to going down the dam and have a relaxing catch and release session to let the worlds worries pass me by - hmm that'd be nice....
    Allan.

Correct Sigidi, I got them as 50mm fingerlings just over 12 months ago. My other lot got eaten by some visiting Ibis, hence the new shadecloth cover. Other aquaponics friends lost between 10 and 50 because of no electricity to run pumps. One did have a backup battery and inverter setup and saved the majority. Anyway, I seem to be hijacking this thread but I try to promote aquaponics at every opportunity. It, like woodworking, can be very addictive. Sorry.

Bad storms again last night, hope everyone got through it without any damage or injuries.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Had nice storm here last night, felt like getting under the bed with the dogs tho, I hate lightning when you have no ceiling.

Nice rain, both our dams are just under the full line

Donna

Just checked the BOM site and areas out around Rosewood had close to 250mm in the last 24 hrs. We had 81mm in here at Kenmore and a bit of water in the house from a blocked SW drain. Fun cleaning those at 1.30 in the morning. Hope everyone's fareing OK.

Cheers
    Michael

Where we are we missed the majority of both storms. Got a bit of water into the garage last night but nothing to worry about. The rain has been nice for the garden and that's about the only effects we've had. Work was flooded after the first one though. Heaps of water down through the ceiling. They are doing some construction work on top, and I guess it's not as watertight as you'd want.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".