Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: piano finish

Question piano finish

Does anyone have any advice about black french polish repair/restoring?
    I have repaired the action in this quality German grand piano and now I want to restore the piano case. The finish is on a thick veneer and is slightly crazed. I have heard of 'spirit black' but can't seem to find it here.
    Would Neil's polish reviver with steel wool give me a good base? Would additional polish be required/desirable?
    I want to bring the surface back as near to 'new' as I can. The piano is 100 years old and sounding beautiful.
    What would your advice be towards getting it to look good as well?
    Jimbo

Sorry Jim - Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but. If it's crazed, it definitely needs repair. Don't attempt this yourself. Find a piano finisher and check out his (her) work before allowing them to do anything.

This really is a job for a master polisher who knows his stuff and not one to be taken lightly. Be prepared to pay out some pretty big bucks.

Cheers - Neil

PS If a repair job is too expensive, there is one other alternative......... learn to live with it.
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!