Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Dishwasher Safe?

For thoes who helped with my previous project, thanks a stackload. I pulled my finger out and made a table (picture attached). I was pretty stoked given we only used a jigsaw, orbital sander and an old ikea desk as a 'workbench' in my 'workshop' (front yard)... Took twice as long and cost twice as much, but thats always the case - right?

Next project - coffee cups... early notional concept jpeg below.

I want a tactile wood surface - the aim is to feeeel the wood... Are there any finishes that:

• Allow someone to 'feel' the texutre of the wood below
    • wont stain
    • keep the wood kind of dimensionally stable
    • dishwasher safe
    • if not, handwash safe

The cups wont be exposed to coffee all the time (lining inside the cup), but moderate temperature.

I know im asking for a lot here (everything, actually)... what finish will give me a good compromise of the above?

Question Two
    Is there any way to 'emphasise' the texutre of the grain after turning. For example, my ply tabletop has a grain you can 'feel' - highs and lows... After i turn the outside of the cups, I'm left with a smooth finish, grain completely level with the cup.... any way to bring this out again?
    Understand what im asking?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomas View Post
    [*] dishwasher safe
    Unless you coat the timber in a few mm of epoxy (then you won't be feeling wood) dishwashers will make a mess of timber in just a few washes. In the long term, hand washing with any sort of soap will also eventually mess about with most natural finishes.

I like your basic idea but wood is just not an appropriate material for coffee cups. A true coffeegeek will tell you that coffee cups should be ceramic or glass to retain heat. While wood will do that, the feel on the lips is the next most important thing and wood just does not feel right. Metal is also a poor choice because it conducts heat too quickly to the lips. In a barista competition (I have judged these) a wooden cup would cause an outright disqualification because of hygiene concerns. Wooden food containers are best left for salads or nibbles.

RE: Is there any way to 'emphasise' the texutre of the grain after turning.
    A light sandblasting will do this but I have never liked the feel. It can look interesting but it just feels like weathered timber to me.

If you feel the urge to connect coffee (espresso of course!) with wood, one of the few items that is practical is a knock box like this.

Cheers Bob.

Rustins Plastic coating is handwash safe, I don't know about dishwasher safe

are you making these for personal use or to market?

Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    are you making these for personal use or to market?

Astrid
    Design for market. As I have said previously, i'm unfamiliar with the limitations of the materials. Despite the fact i have a seriously looming deadline, great to learn all this stuff.

Love the idea. I have a cutting board in the project line and still pondering timbers and finishes.

As far as coffee mugs go... real men drink tea.

Thanks all for your help...

Next question... What do i need to do to gain a really dark finish on wood? Use a dark timber already (Jarrah or something?) then stain it to the ??????????

If it were me loking at the coffee cups, I think I would find a glass tumbler-type thing and turn a wooden holder that was designed to be removed from the glass section before washing. Sounds like Rustins would be a good finish to use for those accasional times when it needs a wipe with a damp cloth for cleaning. Rustins won't feel very "natural wood" though.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

The cup idea has been scrapped for the record. New question as above. God you're a helpful bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by tomas View Post
    Thanks all for your help...

Next question... What do i need to do to gain a really dark finish on wood? Use a dark timber already (Jarrah or something?) then stain it to the ??????????
    i haven't ever done this, but I would do a google search for "ebonising" (or ebonizing to get US sites?). There should be heaps of info on makig wood really dark.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

How dark? do you want to go black (ebonise) or dark but the timber grain is still easily seen?

dark timbers will go darker with oil finishes.

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    How dark? do you want to go black (ebonise) or dark but the timber grain is still easily seen?

dark timbers will go darker with oil finishes.

cheers
    Wendy
    Righteo. Ill have a go with that. Dark wood + dark oil finish'.
    Thanks.