Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing a paulownia surfboard?

Hi there

I've got my hands on a wooden surfboard, made from solid Paulownia. It came from the maker having had a couple of coats of raw linseed oil.

I've been thinking about how best to look after it and maintain the appearance of it over time.

I've given it 2 coats of Ecowoodoil's Garden Furniture Oil which is made of pure Tung oil, eucalytpus and citrus oils and beeswax.

I've followed the directions on the can to date.

Is there any benefit in giving the board more coats of this oil right now to make it more durable?

What other approach might I take? I've read about wet sanding with oil and 800 grit to allow oil/wood slurry to fill grain and give a nice finish. Is this worth doing or it is too late having given it 2 coats of the tung and beeswax prep?

Any clues appreciated...

Hi Bongoman,

Amazed no-one replied to you question. NZ guy named Roy Stewart builds all kinds of surfcraft from Paulownia & uses several different finish techniques. Google www.olosurfer.com/

I luv timber surfboards btw

G'day mate.

I'm guessing it's a Tom Wegener board?

I reckon you've done a good job by it. Either Tung or Linseed oil. I'm not sure about bothering to re-sand between applications. My guess is if it needs a fresh coat, it will be course enough to take it.

Roy finishes his boards with epoxy. Super durable, but nice if you can avoid it.

Check out www.treetosea.org for all things hollow wooden surfboard.

Roy does use woven glass in polyester resin finish but he also uses various other techniques as well. I know he makes a paulownia paipo board based on the early Hawiian finless boards which he gives an oil finish. Check his website (in my earlier post) & maybe email him. I'm sure he'll steer you right!

Thanks apauly, I didn't realise he still used glass too.