Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Default I am confused and dissapointed

I remember when I was younger back in the 70's and early 80's our leaders promised us that the future would be all milk and honey. We would all work less hours, work flex time, I can remember flexing on and flexing off having a flex day and flexing to work. I can also remember working a nine day fortnight and every second weekend was a long weekend. We were also promised that we would share our jobs and spend more leisure time sitting on the beach drinking beer.

What has happened? Now that I am a mature worker (I found this out when the government gave me $500.00 for being over 55) I am working longer, I no longer flex on or off, nor do I have flex days or flex to work, I don't have time to drink beer any more and my doctor says its bad for me any way.

Have I missed something along the way? Did we collide with a parallel universe that was full of wousers and economic rationalists? Or was it when those making the promises entered politics and become political leaders? Lesson there is not to trust a politician or aspiring politician.

All I know is that I woke up this morning and realised that something is wrong the promises that were made when I started work have not happened. I feel as if I have been lied to and let down.

Does any one else feel like this.

Phil
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Well I knew they were lies and so am not disapointed. I do however work a 9 day fortnight, stricktly 36 hours a week or whatever it is.

In about 1990 I realised our egalitarian society had been terminally undermined. This really angered me because i thought it was a really important part of australian culture and society. Anyway seeing the writing on the wall I knew I couldn't expect the luxury of being middle class to last. I had to either get rich or get poor, I chose rich. I retired at 35 by a combination of good luck and careful planning. Now I work to keep busy.

Money doesn't end your problems it just changes them, but I'd rather be financially secure than struggling. I am bitter that the proportion of australia's population who are rich and poor has more than doubled since 1984, and the cost of the middle class. I am also bitter that all the productivity increases have been eaten up by bureaucracy and regulation. That is why you still have to work full time, despite producing more per working person you have 1/2 dozen politicians and bureaucrats to support.

Things will only get worse so you might as well enjoy it while it's this bad
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    Well I knew they were lies and so am not disapointed. I do however work a 9 day fortnight, stricktly 36 hours a week or whatever it is.

In about 1990 I realised our egalitarian society had been terminally undermined. This really angered me because i thought it was a really important part of australian culture and society. Anyway seeing the writing on the wall I knew I couldn't expect the luxury of being middle class to last. I had to either get rich or get poor, I chose rich. I retired at 35 by a combination of good luck and careful planning. Now I work to keep busy.

Money doesn't end your problems it just changes them, but I'd rather be financially secure than struggling. I am bitter that the proportion of australia's population who are rich and poor has more than doubled since 1984, and the cost of the middle class. I am also bitter that all the productivity increases have been eaten up by bureaucracy and regulation. That is why you still have to work full time, despite producing more per working person you have 1/2 dozen politicians and bureaucrats to support.

Things will only get worse so you might as well enjoy it while it's this bad
    Now I am relly depressed
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Well you could be crippled, broke or alone.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

Well you could be crippled, broke or alone.
    True just had two heart attacks and have to take a bucket full of tablets to stay healthy, but I suppose it could be worse. I could be a retired politician with a big pension that would be hard to handle

I dont think there has been any lying or such.

My 2c is we (collectively/generically) have become consumers and need to fund that consumerism by working more and more to get more and more.

So we work harder to get things to play harder when we get the time to play.

Sad really

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Spencer View Post
    True just had two heart attacks and have to take a bucket full of tablets to stay healthy, but I suppose it could be worse. I could be a retired politician with a big pension that would be hard to handle
    I have a friend who's spent the last 5 years of her life pretty much in bed. She was a typical 100 mph over achiever and got that cronic fatigue. I know another chap who had a fall playing rugby and is in a wheelchair for life. Limited use of one hand.

You have my sympathy of course, but someone once said life wasn't meant to be easy and there are plenty of people round to prove it.

I've had my fair share of issues over the years (not that I'm saying I'm worse off than anyone else) but I just try and keep my chin up and keep going. There is a lot of stumbling and pain along the way but it's worth it for the highlights. Wouldn't be dead for quids.

Remember also, the reason we notice people who do the wrong thing, and get so angry over it, is because it's abnormal. It's easy to overlook the majority of people around you every day in small ways doing the right thing. Don't ignore lying evil SOB's or misfortune, but keep perspective. There is a lot of good in the world also Consider some of the pleasant aspects of your life. I don't know you so cna't say, but maybe you've got grandkids ? wife ? hobbies ? maybe the good things make the pain worthwhile..

We don't appreciate the joys of not having a tooth ache until we have one.

But, we do have to many bureaucrats, by a factor of 5 and I think we should scrap income tax and go all out on the consumption tax.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Spencer View Post
    I remember when I was younger back in the 70's and early 80's our leaders promised us that the future would be all milk and honey. We would all work less hours, work flex time, I can remember flexing on and flexing off having a flex day and flexing to work. I can also remember working a nine day fortnight and every second weekend was a long weekend. We were also promised that we would share our jobs and spend more leisure time sitting on the beach drinking beer.

What has happened? ..................

Lesson there is not to trust a politician or aspiring politician.

All I know is ...........

. I feel as if I have been lied to and let down.

Does any one else feel like this.

Phil
    I concur fully with your original post but as soon as I read it I was also reminded of the following "wisdom"

"...when all businesses and homes have computers we will all be living in a paperless society........

Yeah, Right.

And, for those who still believe in the original post - I would like to remind you that I have, For Sale, a large bridge in Sydney which I prepared to let you purchase for the cost of scrap value.

Just send your bank details .....................etc etc.............

someone once said life wasn't meant to be easy and there are plenty of people round to ensure it.
    Corrected for accuracy
    Semtex fixes all

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    I dont think there has been any lying or such.

My 2c is we (collectively/generically) have become consumers and need to fund that consumerism by working more and more to get more and more.

So we work harder to get things to play harder when we get the time to play.

Sad really
    Mate I reckon you hit the nail on the head on that summary of the modern way of living.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Funny!

Do you know how to make semtex ? It's not hard...not a great explosive though, main claim to fame is hard to detect...

NO, but am always interested in learning new skills
    Mick

avantguardian

What has happened? Now that I am a mature worker (I found this out when the government gave me $500.00 for being over 55) I am working longer,
    Phil[/quote]

Phil , I am 63 and did not get the $ 500

self funded in NSW , get a low income health care card

have I missed something

Unhappy

????? Phil! That's no bloody good! No wonder you feel depressed!
    I have a good treatment for depression - Red Wine, Yippee Beans and shavings from the lathe. Works a treat!

Get on top of the physical side of things as much as you ca and for Pete's sake make sur you get help with the Black Dog.

All the best to you.