Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Who's this guy?

Default Who's this guy?

I posted this on another thread and got no bites so here goes:

For fans of a particular TV series, I recently called Optus and got someone in the Philipines named 'Adrick'. Now I bet that rings a few bells! I couldn't resist asking him if he was good at maths at school?

Who or what is Adrick? And why is he famous? Mention dinoasaurs in your answer for an extra point.

Carry Pine

His name wasn't Baldrick was it, of the one and only Blackadder?

The sound of hoofbeats cross the glade,
    Good folk, lock up your son and daughter,
    Beware the deadly flashing blade,
    Unless, you want to end up shorter,

Black Adder!
    Black Adder!
    He rides a pitch-black steed,
    Black Adder!
    Black Adder!
    He's very bad indeed,

Black, his gloves of finest mole,
    Black, his codpiece made of metal,
    His horse is blacker than his vole,
    His pot is blacker than his kettle,

Black Adder!
    Black Adder!
    With many a cunning plan,
    Black Adder!
    Black Adder!
    You horrid little man!
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Adric is a fictional character played by Matthew Waterhouse in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. He was a young native of the planet Alzarius, which exists in the parallel universe of E-Space. A companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors, he was a regular in the programme from 1980 to 1982. The name Adric is an anagram derived from Nobel Prize-winning physicist Paul Dirac.

Adric first appears in the Fourth Doctor serial, Full Circle. Attempting to escape from the mysterious Mistfall threatening his community, he stumbles across and finds refuge in the TARDIS, which has been drawn into E-Space via a wormhole-like phenomenon known as a Charged Vacuum Emboitment. He stowed away when the Doctor and Romana and K-9 Mark II left Alzarius and becomes a companion in the following serial, State of Decay, accompanying them on the rest of their adventures in E-Space. He remains with the Doctor when Romana and K-9 Mark II leave and the TARDIS finds its way back into its own universe.

With a brilliant mathematical mind and sporting a star-shaped badge (blue enamel with gold backing) for mathematical excellence, Adric is also very well aware of his own intelligence. This, coupled with his relative immaturity, leads to a personality that is abrasive and occasionally crosses over into arrogance. As a result, Adric is one of the least popular companions among fans of the programme. However, it is obvious that Adric also desperately seeks validation from the Doctor as well as those around him, and is often hurt and resentful if he feels he is being sidelined or unable to contribute. As an Alzarian, Adric is a member of a species of extremely adaptable creatures, theoretically capable of genetically evolving to suit any environment, though it is unknown if his particular substrain is capable of this. It is known that he possesses an inhumanly rapid rate of healing, though not to the extent he can regenerate amputated body parts.

Adric is present when, during the events of Logopolis, the Fourth Doctor falls from the Pharos Project radio telescope and regenerates into his fifth incarnation. He continues to travel in the TARDIS along with new companions Nyssa and Tegan, but his travels come to an end in Earthshock when he tries to stop a Cyberman-controlled freighter from crashing into prehistoric Earth. The navigational controls had been locked by logic codes, and Adric is entering the solution to the last code when the computer is destroyed by a dying Cyberman. He dies in the crash, while his fellow crewmates watch in horror on the TARDIS viewscreen. His last words before the explosion kills him are "Now I'll never know if I was right." Adric also dies not knowing that the freighter he was trying to stop was actually destined to be the "meteor" that would wipe out the dinosaurs
    Regards

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MALPT View Post
    The name Adric is an anagram derived from Nobel Prize-winning physicist Paul Dirac.
    The FSU/FAMU Engineering School, as well as the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, are located on or near Paul Dirac Drive in Tallahassee. Now I know why. Thanks, Rob.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Thank Mr Wikipedia Joe - (he) gave a much better explanation than the drivel I had started to type
    Regards

Rob

Well done Malpt,

Couldn't even confuse you with the misspelling of his name.

Sorry Waldo- way off the track, sorry if that set you off!

Graham