Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

Default Shoulder pain

I've had rather sore shoulders lately and have diagnosed myself with tendonitis in or about my rotator cuffs. (in both arms)(I also have three kids and no health insurance and physio's cost too much)
    Was just wondering if anyone would be ale to help me with some ideas / exercises to make it go away. It's interfering with my training and sleep and that's sheeeeting me off.
    Mick

avantguardian

Wing chun (assume that is your art)? Maybe too much sticky hands practice. It's murder on the shoulders. Get thee to an acupuncturist!
    Incoming

Never eat prunes when you're hungry

rub Voltarin ointment into it.

I had a painful elbow for years

After about 15 years it was diagnosed correctly as angina
    I don't get chest pains so figure that out
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Incoming! View Post
    Wing chun (assume that is your art)
    The signature that gave it away? But it was getting sore before I was doing lots of chi sao (only this week), but half an hour of punching drills three times a week and trying to launch myself off the ground doing push ups, and sleeping on my arm probably didnae help either.

Voltarin, will go get some now thanks, cheaper than accupuncturist.
    Mick

avantguardian

Cool Just make sure...

Well....just wanted to tell you....my darling hubby's shoulders started to hurt & play up....put up with it for about three years, he thought it was the golf...work...baseball etc ....voltaren....accupunture....eventually shoulder re-construction.....before his six weeks check up.....he started feeling pretty crook...so back to Dr....8 massive brain tumors....stage four....already....Dr's say he would have had them for about 3 years because no one check....we didn't know......DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR....get it checked! Thoroughly....to many brain tumors start....first signs in shoulders!!!!!!!
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

Well I had oodles of CAT scans (and brain surgery) in mid 2001, and no tumors and I haven't diagnosed myself with brain tumors for nearly 8 years, until now, bugger
    Mick

avantguardian

Rather than muck around, go and see a physio. A compliant GP will be able to assess whether you are eligible for the Medicare scheme http://www.health.gov.au/epc. otherwise, try to get a referral (from same GP) to the local hospital physio, however you do get what you pay for..........

James
    Vested interest declared

G'day Mick,
    There's been some good advice in this thread.
    The running theme seems to be - Go Get Help!!!
    Apart from that....I should remind everybody of the forum rule.....:NO DIAGNOSTICS - That's best left to the experts"
    Trying not to be a party pooper here, but it sounds like you may need to get some professional help.
    Then again it could be just an "oowie"
    Let us know how you go.
    Noel

Anything that keeps you from sleep needs attention. And if it has been there for a while. Off to the doc with you. No excuses. Your family needs you well.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Good advice Noel.

Get it checked out Mick. Better to safe than sorry. If it's nothing more than strain from over doing it with the training then go see a manipulative or sports therapist. Most will give you a set price and a money back guarantee if they don't fix.

I've been to 2 over the years and both had a money back guarantee. Both were brilliant and both were pretty inexpensive for what they did. From memory $50 for 3 visits last time and not a problem since. That was about 10 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent.

But first make sure it isn't a heart of other major problem.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

there's a fella a training that is a physio, but I haven't been able to get his card yet.
    Thanks for the advice
    Mick

avantguardian

Mick,

Get yourself to the hospital. Complain of shoulder and chest pains (i know its a small lie). They will check you out. (Medicare covers it)

Ok you have to take whoever is there but at least you get checked out.

Steve

Mick,

+1 for getting pro advice.

I had a shoulder problem a few years back, diagnosed as 'Frozen Shoulder' It's a rotator cuff restriction and it got so painful I couldn't easily change gears in the manual car. Anyone bumping my arm the wrong way brought me to the edge of tears it was so painful. Couldn't raise my arm past horizontal. Ouch.

Anyway, the good news is it got better, but took months.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_shoulder

woodbe.

The other common shoulder problem no one has mentioned yet is bursitis, which apparently very common in the community and a lot of older people confuse it with arthritis. Bursitis the inflammation of the jelly/fluid filled sack in between the major joints and is also common on the hip. In the shoulder it manifests itself by pain when putting on a shirt, or lifting your arm out to the side above your shoulder. To compensate for the pain you subconsciously start using other muscles not designed to do the work and so you end up with pains in your arm, can't sleep, get more tired, and you start a spiral into that all day tired feeling

I've had a pain in my left shoulder since mid 2006 when I started doing more darkside stuff and hand carving/sanding. After trying all manner of self administered oinkments and pill type remedies, I went and had it checked out and the doc said let's go first with an xray and an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed it was busritis and the doc then recommended some of the same oinkments and pills which were useless so he then recommended physio which didn't seem to do much. Finally I went for the cortisone needle and a month or two later I noticed it was subsiding because I was able to sleep again. I'm not sure if the needle did it or not.

Now I have it in the right shoulder!!!!

Unhappy Elbow pain / shoulder pain

Check out your heart Mick.
    Read my post on heart problems.
    See what echidna has said.
    Angina does not always manifest itself as chest pain.

Angina can cause pain in the chest, neck, shoulders, jaw, back, and, from echidna's experience, the elbow.

It may be nothing to do with your heart, but at least if that is ruled out it is a worry you don't have to contend wirh.