Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing MDF - Food safe

I've recently completed my first project, which is a root-vegetable box made from MDF. Before I glue to together, it's probably a good idea to try to finish it I figure.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a product that would be food safe, ie. not leech into the vegetable inside the box, yet would make MDF look attractive?

Many thanks,
    Cameron

Welcome Cameron - White Shellac, a number of coats, as it will soak in to the MDF. Mask all areas that have to be glued so as to give timber to timber contact.

You could also use regular shellac French Polish if you wanted to get a deeper honey colour.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

PS make sure you cover all surfaces after gluing up a the MDF will leach out not so good fumes that some people are affected by especially young children.

I reckon the bigger problem is the moisture from any rotting food swelling, staining or ruining the MDF.

Neil is the guy who knows this stuff, but I would not use a shellac finish - any polyurethane or water based and waterproof clear finish would work to seal both directions so making it food safe and protecting the MDF.

There can be some slight issue of the glue in the MDF emitting vapour, but that is trivial IMHO (and on the scientific evidence) for such a small item.

An enamel paint would do a similar job if you wanted colour, but you might get discolouration and even surface damage from any juices from the veggies and will not be as impervious as the clear finishes (which you could stain to get a different colour from the honey MDF look).

Even though the vegetables in good condition will be dry and more likely to have dirt come off them (eg spuds) than juice, it is common to have the occasional rotting or leaking onion, potato, carrot etc - and it takes just one to have a damaging affect.

They almost always are acidic and contain other compounds that do more damage than plain water.

Default Finish on MDF

And don't forget to seal your internal corners very well with the polyu.