Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Finishing an outdoor trolley

Hi,

I'm currently building an outdoor trolley (like a BBQ trolley, but using a gas ring burner instead). It's a frame-panel design with enclosed cabinets beneath the shelf where the burner is. The frame is blackbutt and the panels are mostly plywood.

The trolley will get some protection living under a balcony, but will need to be moderately weather-proof, and able to take the heat/inevitable dents resulting from regular use.

What should I use as a finish? My preference is for a clear finish, because I like the natural appearance of timber. I realise this might mean periodically reapplying the finish, but I'm happy to do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Michael.

FLAME RETARDANT

Hate to put a damper on things but I think you will find the heat from a gas ring will burn through the timber beneath it in no time.

A gas ring puts off almost as much downward and outwards heat as it does upward heat. I have seen approved wooden framed BBQ's with propper burners catch fire. This is one reason why most new now are metal framed.

What you are building sounds like a sure fired recipe for disaster (pardon the pun). I would have a serious rethink about the whole thing before worrying about a finish.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

C'mon Neil, surely you can put together a special mix of your white goo and asbestos

I was thinking the same thing when I read your post Michael. I would assume that using a portable gas ring burner designed to be used on a benchtop would probably work - but I would at least tile the top of the trolley to help insulate it. Put a normal BBQ ring burner straight into a timber trolley and you're probably creating a beatifully finished custom bonfire

Take a wander around say BBQs Galore or a similar outfit and check out how they build theirs.
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/

Hmmm ... now you've got me thinking ...

To be honest, I hadn't really thought that heat would be a major problem. The burners I've got originally came with a pine stand, and after a few years of use, it has never looked like coming close to burning the timber or catching fire. In fact, while I would have thought that the heat would have spoilt the finish, it didn't--the worst that's happened is that the weight of the burner has dug numerous small ruts in the top surface. (To counteract that problem, I was going to make the benchtop surface out of timber flooring offcuts I salvaged from a neighbour, which are a considerably harder timber than pine.)

However, I may want to upgrade to a bigger burner at some stage, so I should design for that. I've got a BBQs Galore near my place, so I'll ask them what type of benchtop is OK for a larger burner. I might also go the protective tiling route, because I have a whole range of suitable materials in the garage (from low-profile pavers, that would definitely be overkill, to floor tiles, to kitchen wall tiles).

Assuming I can manage to resolve the heat issue, my original question still stands--what would be a good finish for the trolley?

Thanks for all the input.

Michael.

Sounds like the burner is designed to be used on a bench surface - must include some insulation or enough space between the burner & the bench.

For a BBQ I'd probably go for a marine type varnish. It would seal the timber completely, protect it from UV, and of course from the inevitable fat splatter/spills from a BBQ. Make sure you also seal the inside of the cabinet as well.

Remember to make sure the hinges & other hardware are also reasonably weatherproof.
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/