Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: LVL spantable?

Default LVL spantable?

Hi,

Does anyone here know what size LVL timber beams I will need to span 5mtrs.

The design is for a 5mtr x 5mtr gazebo free standing supported by 4 posts only. The gazebo will have a trussed roof (hipped) in pine with a colourbond roof and fibro ceiling.

Thanks in advance.
    Brett

Try doing a search I think SilentC posted LVL tables about 4 -5 mths ago.

http://www.hyne.com.au/our_business/hyne_design.html

that ones my favourite - free , easy to use

Here you go Brett, third link down the page: http://www.chhfuturebuild.com.au/index.cfm/pageid/85

I think you'd need to look at the lintel tables. But check on the suitability of this stuff for your use because it's not intended for fully exposed situations. You may need to get it treated if it's likely to get wet.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Read some of the catalogue SilentC pointed out. Regarding H3 treatment for outdoor applications, is the hySpan product readily available in H3 treatment or does the end user need to have it treated?

Dr - 307.
    All decks should be stained....black white black white black white.......after all it would match anything!
    All roofs should be covered or tiled.....black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond, silver mist, black colorbond.........after all, we wouldn't want a mismatch!

That I can't tell you but I imagine it would be just a matter of ordering it treated. Can't see why it wouldn't be available, unless it's not in common use.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Hi there SilentC,

Thanks for the link mate, I am currently having a look through to see what application best suits mine, and I think the lintel span table is exactly what I am after.

I think the best match for my situation where the beams are concerned would be bressumers(beams over openings in walls). Which is covered in the lintels span table.

As I am having a sheet roof and ceiling, table 9 covers this. I am having a trussed roof therefor the RLW will be from the top of the truss to the end including overhang past the beam. In my case this will be a little under 3.3mtrs.

Looking at table 9 for sheet roof and ceiling with a RLW of 3.6m(next highest) with a single span of 5.2m(next highest, actual will be 5m) I am able to use 360x63 LVL's.

As the allowable deflection for a lintel (support over a window or doorway)is minimal compared to that of a bressumer (support over an open wall), I extrememly confident that this design will withstand the test of time and have me sag free for life....:P

I have a price from buybuildingsupplies.com.au for $37.82/lm ina 5.1 is $192.88ea which seems reasonable enough.

As far as using this product outside goes. it will be fully painted and not exposed to full weathering as I am going to be having a 500mm eve right the way around so I assume painting it would be ok, what do you think? I will ask the manufacturers for more advice with regards to treating.

Thanks for your help.
    Brett

I think you'll be OK, but best to speak to them about it.

Sounds like you've got it under control

just got a better price from NHS 360x63 32.55/lm.

will do silentc, thanks again for your help.

desingIt says I can get away with smaller, but for the sake of 100bucks will stick with the 360x63's.

will post some info on outdoor applications as it comes to hand.

Brett

o total, i have ordered a couple in that same size from NHS and got H3 treated - so its no problem to get treatment if you need

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    o total, i have ordered a couple in that same size from NHS and got H3 treated - so its no problem to get treatment if you need
    Ahh cheers pharma, yer I just spoke to a technical guy from the suppliers Carter Holt Harvey, he said that I could get H3. He also said that painting would be an option for my application, which I will do as well as get them in H3.

Will let you all know how this progresses.

Anyone know a good place to get trusses made around the Newcastle area?

Cheers Brett