Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Help

Talking Help

I am restoring an old (100 years) piece of furniture that was my mothers. It originally was a 7 drawer tallboy which she had someone long ago turn into two pieces - a three drawer chest and a 4 drawer dressing table. I am putting it back to its original configuration ( as a tallboy). When i stripped the drawers back I noticed that the handles had been changed and the previous holes had been plugged using dowel and as i want to shellac and wax the unit i am wondering how i can minimise the effect that the plugs will have. Further, the top had been burnt ( i think) and the burn marks filled in with what looks like putty coloured for effect and then stained, but as i want to shellac and wax can this also be fixed to reduce the effect?
    Thanks
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

Havn't got time for an indepth response...But in short

Put the handles back on & yes.

Just because you are going to seal with shellac and finish with wax won't make any difference to how you would approach any problems. How to approach these problems really depends on your skill & experience level. I could go into many different methods, but if you can get your hands on a copy of the Polishers Handbook this will help you greatly if you have little or no experience or even if you think you know it all...

Cheers!