Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Exposed, free standing deck - mid construction

Gday folks,

Well the project is well under way. It certainly has been a learning process although this website has been a great reference when Ive needed an answer.

The short of it is that we are building a 9.5 x 4.5m, split level deck. We had been working on plans for the last 4 months deciding what we wanted to do with this quasi useless space we had. We have a great neighbour who has well established gardens and has built well away from his boundary line giving us a private space to work with. On our side on the boundary line, we have an awesome row of massive palm trees that we wanted to keep. We decided we would build around 3 of the trees and incorporate them into our construction.

We then spoke to some of our friends in the building industry and many trips to Bunnings as well as reading books and articles we got started. We got a friend to hook us up with all the wood we needed which ended up being kwila posts, mixed hardwood bearers and joists and finally some kwila decking. We hired a dingo to dig our 27 holes to 600mm deep. That machine was a blast to work with and within a day we had the grounds cleared and holes in place.

We then spent the next 2 days setting the stirrups in place and cementing (wife's boss lent us his mixer which was a great time saver).

The next weekend we tackled the posts and leveling them off with all kind of tools however the water level proved to be the best as well as most accurate. Once we confired all the heights we set to drop sawing, drilling, and bolting everything back in place. One triple check later all the posts and stirrups were lined up and leveled to what we wanted.

Next was working on the bearers. Due to it being mixed hardwood and us not having a deadline, we decided to sand them all down as well as oil them up. I had recently purchased a makita sander and was anxious to put it to use. I was pleasantly surpised with the results. We ended with a nice uniform finish.

Once the oil was dry, we set to laying them in place over the posts. After much debate, and some trial and error, we decided to fix the bearers with some 8mm(I think it was) thick galvanized steel brackets. It ended up firmly securing everything in place with no movement.

Next up was the joists. Again, sanding and oiling for a uniform look (as we were unsure of what we would see of the substructure), we set to measuring, spacing and finally securing with some triple grips. We ended up having just enough wood to be well within our tolerances of 650mm. I think the biggest space was 600mm on the high level deck. The triple grips ended up much easier to work with than I had originally thought and again there was no movement when we yanked, pushed and pulled against it.

Yet to come is still the decking boards. After consulting with a paint specilist, he suggested we secure the decking, then drench it thoroughly to get the tannins out. Let it dry for a week and do once more. Another week down the road well be readily to apply the first of 3 coats. We were told 3 coats would allow us three 3 years before we need to do it again.

Ive added a few photos of where we are at and welcome any comments suggestions or improvements ideas. We've really enjoyed reading the forums and talking to various people for information. At the end, I'll come back and post for other first timers like myself some of the things I learned along the way that either worked or didnt work in the hopes that someone can use that information for themselves.

Cheers,
    Mike

Nice Job!

Which oil did you use... there's been a lot of discussion about which is best on the forum.

Cheers
    No Pain no Gain! :U

I like your shade pavillion to keep the sun off as you work - must remember that !

Looking good so far - only criticism is that I would have put the bearer bolts in around the other way on the exposed end bearer.

Cheers

The oil we used was Cabot's decking oil. I had planned to use this on the deck also but after consulting with a painter at Bunning's theres another product they reccommend. I'll have a chat with him again next time Im in but I remember he said to me, "2 coats - 2 years or 3 coats, 3 years" instead of every 6 months for the decking oil. Im not sure if I should lightly sand after coat but thats a question I'll ask him.

As for the bolts, youre right, I should have put them the other way around. I was thinking I could angle grind them down to make them less obvious. I dont think I can redo them at this point - I assume the'yre carrying a bit of weight.

I'm gonna get stuck in on the weekend to hopefully get all but the fascia boards on.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by blakhomer View Post
    As for the bolts, youre right, I should have put them the other way around. I was thinking I could angle grind them down to make them less obvious. I dont think I can redo them at this point - I assume the'yre carrying a bit of weight.
    Don't angle grind the bolts - you'll take off the galvanised layer and end up with the ends rusting.
    As for them carrying weight - I think you will find you can quite easily take one bolt out at a time and put it in the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki429 View Post
    Don't angle grind the bolts - you'll take off the galvanised layer and end up with the ends rusting.
    As for them carrying weight - I think you will find you can quite easily take one bolt out at a time and put it in the other way.

You could use the new bolt as a drift to take the old one out also.
    Cheers
    Baz