Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I know when to pick my Vegetables ?

This is probably one of the more sillier questions to emerge on this board, BUT I do not know when to pick my vegetables that I have growing in my back yard.
    I have:
    Tomatoes
    zucchini
    Capsicum
    Peas
    Beans
    Cucumber

I assume the answer will be something like "when they look like the ones in the supermarket.." ??? But I'm thinking there's a catch ?

Sincerley,
    Moron Vegetable Gardener

Tom, I am happy to come around, pick a big pile and take them home to eat before emailing you to let you know if they are ready or whether I would need to come back in a weeks time and get some more

Quote Originally Posted by TomDunreedy View Post
    This is probably one of the more sillier questions to emerge on this board, BUT I do not know when to pick my vegetables that I have growing in my back yard.
    I have:
    Tomatoes
    zucchini
    Capsicum
    Peas
    Beans
    Cucumber

I assume the answer will be something like "when they look like the ones in the supermarket.." ??? But I'm thinking there's a catch ?

Sincerley,
    Moron Vegetable Gardener
    Not as silly as you might think.

Tomatoes--just when they begin to turn if using for cooking. Ripen them on a window sill with the stem end facing downward. Never refrigerate them. If eating straightaway, wait a bit longer until quite red (or yellow or whatever colour) but watch because the birds will get at them when they get very red.

Zukes--When they are of a nominal size for the type. You can get quite large ones from some varieties.

Capsicum--Harvest when of nominal size for the variety. You can wait for them to turn colour (red, yellow, etc.) or pick them green and use them that way.

Peas--When they look like the ones in the supermarket.

Beans--You don't specify what types of beans, so can't be specific.

Cucumber--They are ready to eat at any time after beginning to develope. For pickling, pick them smallish. For eating, pick when mid-sized. Very large ones tend to have too many seeds and a toughish rind.

If I know my gardners, there will be disagreements on some points, but this advice is based on many years of personal experience.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
    Cheers,

Bob

I pretty much agree with Bob, I'd just add that some peas (snap etc) should be picked before they fill too much and that what bob describes as the tomatoes beginning to turn would mean as soon as there is any trace of pink/red - they ripen off the plant easily so long as they have some warmth.

Bob, I've never heard of the tomatoes being ripened with the stem downwards, can you tell us why?

Denn

Quote Originally Posted by dennford View Post
    I

Bob, I've never heard of the tomatoes being ripened with the stem downwards, can you tell us why?

Denn
    Yes. Because my Gran said so. Good enough for me.
    Cheers,

Bob

Default zuccinis (courgettes)

A good friend of mine grew these in Kenya for export to the European markets. He picked various sizes and always said the French liked 5" the Germans 7" and the British prefered 9" ones.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to me too.

Denn

I too am a vegetable novice - could anyone fill me in on potatoes? - apart from the lush green growth indicating they're very happy, I have no idea what to do with them and when to harvest them (Kipfler and Nicola varieties). Thanks, Elphingirl

Dig the spuds when the green top starts to die off
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Tom, I am happy to come around, pick a big pile and take them home to eat before emailing you to let you know if they are ready or whether I would need to come back in a weeks time and get some more

Burnsy - you're on ! Just remember to bring around a carton of beer...

Thanks Bob & others.
    I guess it can be a personal preference when to pick vegies, but now I know a little more than I did last night !

Quote Originally Posted by TomDunreedy View Post
    Burnsy - you're on ! Just remember to bring around a carton of beer...
    Fair call

Actually, before the gardening police take me away, a bit of research says ripen tomatoes in the dark covered with a layer of newspaper.

But I shall still ripen them stem down on the windowsill.
    Cheers,

Bob

Actually, before the gardening police take me away, a bit of research says ripen tomatoes in the dark covered with a layer of newspaper.

But I shall still ripen them stem down on the windowsill.

May have come from Europe where windowsills were cold places - tomatoes need warmth to ripen. I certainly remember that my parents/grandparents used to wrap them in blankets and put them in a warm drawer.

Denn

I usually ripen tomatoes in a paper bag (not sure which relative told me to do this!).
    Tip for zucchini's, if you find you have lots of them and can't eat all of them quickly enough, to stop them getting to large go to the stem of the plant and slice half way through with a sharp knife. Cuts down the food they get, but keeps them healthy.
    I always forget where I plant my spuds so I normally harvest them when I'm digging the ground and "find" them!!!
    Cheers
    McBlurter