Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: finishing ideas

Default finishing ideas

Hi well i am constructing a multi purpose stoing unit, it wil consist of (essentially) s sides top and bottom and 2 draws, but with alot more skill that just stated, which there is no need to say. i was after some advise for what finish i should use for to get a really nice finish that can hnadle bumps and scrathces and is hardy. A finish that really brings out the grain and colours, the timbers i have got are: American black walnut(lovly purply black and cream sides with wonderfull grain) yellow walnut, Red sirus(marbelled) never seen a nicer piece before whichis going to be my top, and n.g rosewood(red tinge) colour.for base and draws.

Popping the grain? UBeaut's White Shellac!! Always a winner and always pops the grain. If in doubt try it on a few test pieces.

Even UBeaut's Hard Shellac will pop the grain just as nicely. The white shellac is my personal favourite, very easy to use and apply (by following the instructions).

others may have additional info and experiences to add.

cheers
    Wendy

Default "Popping The Grains"

Boiled Linseed Oil, is another option to pop the grains, and then allow to cure, and then you can apply most other coatings.

there can be a downside to boiled linseed oil in that it does have the capacity to darken some wood. It's always safer with finishes to do a little test on either a piece of scrap of the same wood or somewhere where it doesn't show.

Jerry

Default Samples, samples, and samples.

Jerry,

I think it should go without saying, that "samples starts the finishing process, unless you make up samples you will never know the final results, and then it maybe to late,

One of the reasons, that the BLO is used to "pop yhe grains" is because it is dark, you need some color to bring out the wood.

Mac,
    I have learned over the years never to rely on "it goes without saying". I don't treat people as idiots but am aware that some people new to a skill might need a reminder.

As for BLO, I said "some woods" should be treated with caution. I have a ceiling in my family room which is a very light NZ wood called rimu. I knew BLO would bring it down from an almost white wood to a deep tan. OK for what I was aiming for but perhaps not what someone else would want, hence the tone of my advice was to be cautious, one size does not necessarily fit all.

Jerry

Default Its part of the answer...

That is the reason why a sample must be used, a simple sample would show someone if the BLO color was to "strong / dark," then you could have reduced the color strenght with some white spirits / mineral turpentine to lighten it up to find the color you want.

If we are going to give advice, we ought to always mention about making up a sample first, as a sample should always start the finishing process.

I agree Jerry, putting linseed oil on redgum or jarrah darkens them so much the whole character of the wood can be lost.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default Popping the woods grains

Wendy,

Did you ever try using orange / amber Shellac to "pop the woods grains." or did you ever try adding a little dye stain into the clear Shellac.

Give these a try on some samples.

See photo of the orange Shellac on oak, take note of how it pops the colors.

Default Jarrah Wood Sample

I had a piece of Jarrah wood, and I thinned it out with some BLO, and then applied it on the Jarrah, as you can see it popped the wood and brought out the wood grains with excellent clarity.

Jarrah will darken with any clear coating once it is wet from the coating, the wood naturally gets that dark red mahogany color you see at the top of the photo.