Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you call this?

Hi all,

We've just bought this old Victorian house (built c. 1880) and noticed that two of the deco 'thingy's are missing (red arrows in the attached pix). I have a few Qs:

1. What is the correct term for this 'thingy'?
    2. Which tradesmen should we contact to have this fixed (i.e. renderer or roofer or ...?)
    3. Some of the windows' timber frames are chipped or rotten (not sure yet). Is it easy to have them fixed? Or is it better to have them replaced?
    4. We notice some cracks on the outer wall. Should this be a worry? Should we get a building surveyor to perform the full health check of the house? We did not have one done at the time of purchase. My wife told me that if the house is not structurally sound (based on the cracks she saw!) then we should have it knocked down and build a new one.

I'd very much appreciate your replies.

Cheers.

They are called corbels.

Can be made from timber, plaster or concrete.

I like the term 'thingy', but I think the correct name is 'corbel'.

I could, of course, be wrong, I'm a programmer, after all...
    Cheers,
    Anthony

1. It's called a corbel
    2. A carpenter or builder would be able to install them. Finding a match for the existing ones might be a problem. You'd probably need to find a supplier of period building products, or have a couple made by a joinery. I presume they are wooden.
    3. If they are rotten, you might want to have them replaced. Get a builder to have a look.
    4. You're brave buying a house without having it inspected. I would get an inspector in to have a look, there might be a lot of things that need fixing. Cracked render/brickwork is not necessarily something to worry about but I'd get it checked in case it's a sign of more serious problems.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

They are eaves brackets,not corbels.

Tools

My wife told me that if the house is not structurally sound (based on the cracks she saw!) then we should have it knocked down and build a new one.
    Is she serious? I certainly hope not.

Now... Old houses do move. Expect to see some small cracks and discrepancies. They were not built like modern ones, and peoples' expectations of what would happen (in terms of minor structural movement) were greatly different to now. If you want a picture-perfect modern house, sell this one and move to a new place. Otherwise you're throwing good money after bad in terms of achieving what you (or the wife) wants.

Windows - an 1880 house may already be on its second set of sashes (the bits that move). A joinery firm can make new ones; this is often cost and time-effective compared to repairing existing. However, you need a trustworthy, skilled tradesman to measure and specify to the joinery. Take some advice or visual cues to ensure that remade pieces are faithful or flattering to the original look of the house.

Speaking generally again... An older place means that you are going to be faced with a couple of problem characters. First is tradies who don't "get" how to fix stuff properly in these older places because they've never been taught about it, and will fob you off with a near-enough (to them!) fix, and secondly, the charlatans who just plain lie (building on your lack of knowledge and a few minor house issues) to get you spending with them. A great example is the ones who try to convince you a slate roof needs replacing.

Why not have a look at Government heritage publications; there should be some simple guides for working on older places? Also if you were to pay a heritage architect or consultant for a report on the present state of things, it might allay some fears and offer a way forward. This might be in fact the best thing to do first!

Regards, Adam.

p.s. Do not walk on the main roof without laying down a ply sheet or ridge ladder. Slate is very enduring until boofheads tread all over it (then it cracks).

Quote Originally Posted by test123456 View Post
    Hi all,

We've just bought this old Victorian house (built c. 1880) and noticed that two of the deco 'thingy's are missing (red arrows in the attached pix). I have a few Qs:

1. What is the correct term for this 'thingy'?
    2. Which tradesmen should we contact to have this fixed (i.e. renderer or roofer or ...?)
    3. Some of the windows' timber frames are chipped or rotten (not sure yet). Is it easy to have them fixed? Or is it better to have them replaced?
    4. We notice some cracks on the outer wall. Should this be a worry? Should we get a building surveyor to perform the full health check of the house? We did not have one done at the time of purchase. My wife told me that if the house is not structurally sound (based on the cracks she saw!) then we should have it knocked down and build a new one.

I'd very much appreciate your replies.

Cheers.

Troll alert..

I really doubt that the council or government would allow you to just knock it down and start again, unless you are a troll of course.

@Big Shed, atregent, Tools: Thanks for your reply. Now I know the correct term for it

@silentC, addo: Thanks for your knowledgable and insightful replies, especially very encouraging from Adam. Thanks.

@Brickie: No, I'm not a troll... didn't know trolls exist on this great forum By the way that is the only Victorian house left on that stretch of the road (used to be a very very large orchard, according to the Historical Society) and fortunately it's not in the heritage overlay area.

Another Q: there are wisterias on the verandah and they only flower for a few months of the year... the rest they don't look nice at all. Should I remove them all?

[quote=test123456;632881
    @Brickie: No, I'm not a troll... didn't know trolls exist on this great forum [/quote]

Half the members here are trolls..

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    Half the members here are trolls..
    Which half..................

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post
    They are eaves brackets,not corbels.

Tools
    Technically, they're corbels. Maybe "Eaves bracket" is easier to pronounce
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Which half..................
    The other half of course..

Wisteria can be something of a vector for white ants. If your area is not noted for termite issues, plant as you see fit. If it it is a problem locale, avoid certain plants near the house - wattles, ti-trees, many eucalypts, wisteria and the dreaded ivy.

Now, having lit the fire, we just need to keep you passionate about the old stuff!

Regards, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    Google is your friend

Eaves brackets

Corbells
    Yeah but an eaves bracket is a corbel.

But yeah, you'll probably have more luck if you ask for eaves brackets....