Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: ramp or steps

Default ramp or steps

Now that the house is mostly finished, my attention has been drawn to the surrounding sea of mud, and i think i need some paving. One of the questions i am grappling with is whether to employ steps along the path between the driveway and the front entrance of the house or to have a continuous ramp. I am grappling because the ramp would be rather steep - 0.8 m rise over a horizontal distance of 6 m. Does anyone have a feel for the usability of a path of this gradient?

( I want to avoid steps if possible because some people (me) tend to fall down them.)

It looks like wheelchair ramps are recommended at about 1:40, but it doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule:
    ramps should be of a gradient required by the AS1428.1, (if over 1250mm in length, 1:14 is acceptable and if below that length, 1:8)
    http://www.openroad.net.au/access/da...phhandout8.htm
    Yours would be steeper than that @ 1:7.5.
    I suppose it depends on what you'd feel comfortable with. I've seen some pretty steep driveways that you have to walk up to get to some houses.
    If you could meander the path a bit, then of course it would reduce the gradient.

Edit:
    An interesting bit of trivia:
    Steep Thrills

In the A-Z of Dunedin, New Zealand, Baldwin St looks unremarkable: quarter of a mile of straight suburban side-street, perpendicular to the main south road out of the city. Unfortunately the people planning it were in Britain -- 12,000 miles away -- and their maps weren't quite contoured up to OS standards. That main road ran along the bottom of a steep valley, and the side road, laid faithfully according to the plans, ran straight up a hillside. It resulted in Baldwin St being the steepest paved road in the world.
    < snip >
    Baldwin Street's monumental mapping error has given it a gradient of 1 in 2.66, or 38%.

http://www.bikereader.com/contributo...ley/hills.html
    And here is a nice painting by Ron Francis, that I liked when I first saw it a few years ago:

Just take the plunge

Aim for a 1 in 8 slope, its still generally a comfortable slope.

But maybe you could do a temp slope with some planks etc just to try it on for size before you go all the way.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

A 1:8 slope is the maximum allowed under the BCA
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ausdesign View Post
    A 1:8 slope is the maximum allowed under the BCA

I believe however, that this is for ramps in or attachd to buildings, not as part of a garden path.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Default Thanks fellas

Thanks to all for the helpful info and advice. I have taken up Echidna's suggestion and the ramp seems to be ok for able pedestrians.

I am new to this forum, and I am astounded by the depth and breadth of informaton available, and the generosity of contibutors.

It's a great example of what can be achieved through sharing and cooperation, and I hope I will be able to contibute from time to time.

True Mick. This is only if the ramp is an access path from the [front door] to natural ground level.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ausdesign View Post
    True Mick. This is only if the ramp is an access path from the [front door] to natural ground level.

Peter I'm not sure if that is correct. AS 1428.1 says that a ramp of 1:8 is acceptable if it is less than 1520mm long. Ramps over 1520mm shall not exceed 1:14 and have level platforms every 9 m.

It is meant to allow a steep ramp access to a doorway or say a curb crossover where a wheelchair operator can pull themselves up a short distance.

Mind you this is design specs for access and mobility and I'm not sure if the BCA follows these rules - I'd be surprised if they didn't though.

BTW Zoltan I would build steps - ramps are ugly. Especiall as you will need 11.2 m of ramp with a 1.2m landing either end plus one in the centre = 14.8m - that's if you were to make it wheelchair accessible..as I said I'm not sure if you are required to follow these rules for domestic dwellings.

EDIT I just read the Preface of AS1428.1 ..it says that the specs that I mentioned are regulated under BCA, and that AS 1428.2 is regulated under other authorities.

AS 1428 applies only to commercial situations, Peter I would like to know which clause of the BCA volume 2 u got 1 in 8 from.

The buildingsurv is correct.
    Volume 2 - relating to class 1 [residential] - doesn't make mention of any requirements for ramps. The only requirements in regards to access and egress are in relation to steps and landings.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

Did someone say 1:8?

Driveways are 1:4 max - Would be interesting to see what local councils perspective on 1:2 would be
    Good for roll starts !!
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

As 1428 MAY only apply to commercial situations but it is a very good guide as to what is acceptable from a comfort and practicality point of view.

Just as the comfort ratio may not be a legal requirement when building steps...but to exceed those ratios will inevitably lead to a poor job.