Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Square or rectangle

My local council allows a 10 sq metre (or less) garden shed to be errected without consent from the Council if it is made from a pre-fab kit and complies with some other requirements.

Stratco make two sheds that I am thinking about: one is 3.3 metres x 3.3 metres and the other is 4.0 metres x 2.4 metres.

Which do you reckon would be more useful to work in - I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

3.3 by 3.3 is over 10 sq metres
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Sorry - 3.1 x 3.1
    Cheers

Jeremy

Any chance of drawing up a quick plan of what you want to put where, walkways and storage?

I personally think a rectangle is easier to use in a small space rather than a square.

cheers
    Wendy

Why not put two up, one to work in and one for storage.

Council approval for a shed generally isn't hard to get and unless you are planning on building only dolls house furniture the shed sizes you are talking about will very likely seem very small very quickly. It might be worth mocking up a floor plan on the back lawn just to see how things fit.

I'd go for the rectangular.

This will give you a total of 8 metres wall space.
    With 600mm bench/tools each side you have 1200mm floor space which is workable.

Height is very important if you can get 2400 to 3000 wall heights you can have a reasonable amount of storage overhead.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

A guy in our area put up two individual 3x3 sheds about 3m apart and then aquired another roof and put between them for out door storage. Sitting against a 1.8m paling fence he doesn't have mutch trouble with weather and has 3x9m.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Why not put two up, one to work in and one for storage.
    The Council isn't that stupid - the exemption is for one shed
    Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Council approval for a shed generally isn't hard to get and unless you are planning on building only dolls house furniture the shed sizes you are talking about will very likely seem very small very quickly. It might be worth mocking up a floor plan on the back lawn just to see how things fit.
    might have to do both - this council is famous (notorious) for being slow on DAs, so the shed may be a good interim measure until the approval comes through.
    Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.
    Square or rectangle, with all this in there there won't be enough room for you to do anything.

It is a PITA if you have to get everything out or move everything around just to do anything.

Also, how high are these pre fab jobs and will they be able to be insulated?
    Cheers

Alan M

My Daughter's food blog www.spicyicecream.com.au

Square or rectangle
    It's just a big box, so go for gold, and keep the Feng shui gods happy.

Put up the rectangular shed as an interim solution and then apply for permission to build a bigger- better workshop after which your small one becomes a storage area.

Denn

My local council allows a 10 sq metre (or less) garden shed to be errected without consent from the Council if it is made from a pre-fab kit and complies with some other requirements.

Stratco make two sheds that I am thinking about: one is 3.3 metres x 3.3 metres and the other is 4.0 metres x 2.4 metres.

Which do you reckon would be more useful to work in - I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.
    1) You DO NOT want a garden shed of the sizes your quoting... they believe it or not are for GARDEN TOOLS not workshop tools! hence the word GARDEN before the word shed... you need a SHED or a WORKSHOP shed or a GARAGE shed or a you get the idea?

2) BELIEVE ME!! If not for anything else... believe me this one thing mate... 3.3 x 3.3 AND the 4 x 2.4 are TOO SMALL!!!...

Yes theres maniacs that have them and they do do stuff in them but your wanting to put in a COUPLE of workbenches not one but a COUPLE a Table saw... go on you can say it!! TABLE SAW meaning a TABLE with a SAW IN IT! ergo LARGE take up lotsa room type saw thingy a DP?... AND (at least now you say the majik word MAYBE) some other machines... AND it will NEED to provide storage as well???

I say... GET A GRIP!! And then go get a decent shed!! Look mate just a single garage is better than that you get 6mts x 3 mtrs MINIMUM!! and that will be the best starting place... any smaller and your gonna be driving yourself and everyone else totally insane QUICK SMART!!!

FACT!

1) Your thinking way too small... in for a penny in for a pound go for a single garage
    2) Your not going to be able to fart in there by the time you get the couple of work benchs AND the table saw in there... let alone the other machines some timber and then the garden tools which by the way do breed!!
    3) If you can only have sheds that small get 2!!! hell put them both up but only apply to have one done but get two up YOU WILL NEED THEM BOTH
    4) Get a single garage THEN get a 3 x 3 garden shed!! use the garage for your workshop and the garden shed for... well garden stuff!! or the storage needs... or as a extention on the workshop and store the the storage stuff in the ceiling under the floorboards in the kids room heck does it matter? As long its not in the shed!!

4) If that fails... well your just going to have to move arent you!!

All the best with it
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    It's just a big box, so go for gold, and keep the Feng shui gods happy.
    4x2.4 is pretty close to the GR

Quote Originally Posted by dennford View Post
    Put up the rectangular shed as an interim solution and then apply for permission to build a bigger- better workshop after which your small one becomes a storage area.

Denn
    Coming to the same thought

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    1) You DO NOT want a garden shed of the sizes your quoting... they believe it or not are for GARDEN TOOLS not workshop tools! hence the word GARDEN before the word shed... you need a SHED or a WORKSHOP shed or a GARAGE shed or a you get the idea?
    Mate, it's a step up from the last 4 feet of the garage!
    2) BELIEVE ME!! If not for anything else... believe me this one thing mate... 3.3 x 3.3 AND the 4 x 2.4 are TOO SMALL!!!...
    I know, but I have dealt with this council and some families' kids have grown up, got married had kids and become grandparents before a DA has been approved. Also, some of the locals just love ringing the council to ask if X or Y is compliant - and I need a council inspection like I need a cold water enema administered with a garden hose with the fittings still on!

Yes theres maniacs that have them and they do do stuff in them but your wanting to put in a COUPLE of workbenches not one but a COUPLE a Table saw... go on you can say it!! TABLE SAW meaning a TABLE with a SAW IN IT! ergo LARGE take up lotsa room type saw thingy a DP?... AND (at least now you say the majik word MAYBE) some other machines... AND it will NEED to provide storage as well???

I say... GET A GRIP!! And then go get a decent shed!! Look mate just a single garage is better than that you get 6mts x 3 mtrs MINIMUM!! and that will be the best starting place... any smaller and your gonna be driving yourself and everyone else totally insane QUICK SMART!!!

I'll get agoraphobia in such a big place. Seriously, I will work on the DA for something bigger along the way, but in the meantime, I want somewhere to work and, remember, this is a huge increase in space for me (like about 40%)

FACT!

1) Your thinking way too small... in for a penny in for a pound go for a single garage
    2) Your not going to be able to fart in there by the time you get the couple of work benchs AND the table saw in there... let alone the other machines some timber and then the garden tools which by the way do breed!!
    3) If you can only have sheds that small get 2!!! hell put them both up but only apply to have one done but get two up YOU WILL NEED THEM BOTH
    4) Get a single garage THEN get a 3 x 3 garden shed!! use the garage for your workshop and the garden shed for... well garden stuff!! or the storage needs... or as a extention on the workshop and store the the storage stuff in the ceiling under the floorboards in the kids room heck does it matter? As long its not in the shed!!

4) If that fails... well your just going to have to move arent you!!

All the best with it
    Thanks for all the thoughts
    Cheers

Jeremy