Default Banksia Rose....help

G'day folks
    A mate and I have racked our brains over how to solve a problem with his banksia rose(s). The plants are possibly 20 years old, maybe less however it is around 8 meters wide by 2 to 3 meters high. He trims it every year to keep it neat and tidy and until recently had it supported by water proof nylon rope and other rope tied to the side railing on his porch to keep it upright and allow some filtered light through to the bulbs underneath.
    I did suggest that the rope may rub through the stems of the rose and cause it damage even though i did suggest to him to previously just to dig the damn thing out but this isn't an option.

So could anyone please suggest a particular product to effectively restrain the branches so no damage is caused to the bush and the railing?
    We have thought of creating a type of trellis between the rose and the porch using star pickets every couple of feet and feeding through HT wire where one could tie or use something to support the bush. This may seem like a little overkill using High Tensile (HT) wire but it is a very heavy bush to restrain and it's the only wire we have.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark.

Rather than use HT wire with your star droppers think about using plastic coated clothes line wire. It can take a fair amount of tensioning and the UV resistant plastic coating won't damage the bush. It also comes in green so it doesn't stand out like dogs balls.

I've used it to support a 5 metre wide climbing rose and it works a treat.

Banksia roses are very hardy so I tie mine up with thick wire (old coat hangers work fine). It may dig into the plant but they send off so many shoots it's not a problem. Just make sure you don't wrap the wire around the stem like a noose, or it will do damage, or if you have to do this have enough space in the noose for the stem to grow into.
    Mine are just coming to the end of flowering and have been spectacular, now all I have to do is clean up the petals!!!!
    Cheers
    McBlurter