Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Acrylic gloss paint

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good acrylic gloss paint?

I came across "The Paint Shop", which has several branches in Melbourne. Anyone tried their products, any feedback?

Or should I stick to the mainstream brands like Wattyl, Dulux or Taubmans?

Thanks.

How do you want to use the acrylic gloss paint? What application? What method, brush, roller? What are your expectations?

I'm looking to paint new architraves and doors, which are pre-primed. Thinking of using brush. Am considering acrylic for ease of use/cleanup & less odour. Don't need it to be super glossy, just tougher than the standard acrylic wall paints.

I can only reply with my experiences. I used Solver brand acrylic gloss on new pre primed architraves, and found the results with a brush acceptable. I did our old doors with a short nap roller and was happy with those too. I did two new doors that were pre primed and maybe due to my technique, the result was not as good. The old doors were rolled in position standing up, and the two new doors were rolled laying flat on stands.

In my limited experience, acrylic gloss is too prone to damage to use on or around doors. I've found that when scratched, such as bumped while moving furniture through a doorway, it starts to peel. I've not had the same problem with oil-based gloss.

I have just used the Dulux Aquanamel acrylic full gloss enamel (they have a semi-gloss too) for the first time. It goes on well although even though I use high quality brushes, brush marks are apparent. I used a small 6mm mohair roller and that worked better, but of course cutting-in needed a brush still.

Not sufficient to worry me and the ease of use with touch dry in 30 mins and re-coat in 2 hours, and clean-up with no turps (I used to use oil-based enamels) far outweighs the slightly lower gloss.

Dulux claims that this one is as hard as oil-based enamels while retaining the advantage of the flexibility of acrylic paints in general.

While oil-based paints are hard they get harder with age and tend to chip away and cracks at joins can become visible usually within a short time (a year or so and very much depending on climate).

Dulux claims that its paint is an enamel and is therefore harder and more durable for skirtings and architraves - regular acrylic gloss paint is not enamelised so tends to remain 'soft'.

Time will tell with this paint, but as I said the advantages of speed and water wash up are big for me and it looks pretty good too.

http://dulux.com.au/html/planning/pr...aquanamel.aspx

Thanks to the 3 of you. I'll think further and see which way to go. But from my situation (short of time & paranoia about the smell & cleanup), I'll probably give the acrylic gloss a try, but add a small roller instead of using just brush. Cheers.