Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default ppg hi build uv protected

Hi everyone
    well a few months have passed since i contacted the forum,i recieved my redundancy off the state govenment in june this year and have been given a list by me better half to do around the house.
    one of these is revarnishing 30 western red cedar windows outside and roller door made of wrc as well.
    the wife has rung 20 odd paint supply stores and they all say something different ,i like a marine grade varnish with a gloss finish and she has come upwith a new product called hi build uv protected satern oil base by ppg?
    has anyone heard of this product and can i have some opinions please
    thanks heaps
    greg

Assuming that the current varnish on them is in poor condition and needs removal...

Strip the windows back to bare timber, do any required repairs, and oil them with something like decking oil (this will make the timber darker, so test it somewhere inconspicuous first). You'll need to re-oil every year or so; but this will just be a quick wipe over process so it's not too stressful.

If you want to stick with varnish, try this: paint with WEST epoxy as per this info, and then apply varnish over the top. Scuff sand and revarnish every few years to keep it looking good. Doing it properly will be a lot of work!

No matter how good the varnish is, it will break down over time. No exceptions. The best paint will come from boating supply places - not many environments are more extreme than marine use, so you'll know that you have the top of the line. It's likely to be cheaper than what's on offer from hardware stores, too.

thanks splinter
    after much discusions with the wife we ended up buying feast watson marine spar varnish
    my wife and i have sanded and revarnshed 8 windows in 3 coats and plan on putting at least 3 more coats on. i dont want to think of the remaining windows to do but we are getting there slowly and the results are pretty good
    thanks for the advice
    greg

Hi greg long time mate , I usually go with wattyl exterior timber varnish or the sickens filter 7 cetrol , both are easier to apply and IMHO give a far better finish, you do need a recoat after 6-7 years
    Rgds
    Russell
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Hey Greg,

Good to see you out and about mate . Shoot me a PM sometime and tell me what's going on. How's M going with her music?

It's too long a story to go into here but suffice it to say that I had "water issues" in the studio and had to totally gut the two downstairs rooms.

Take care,

Chris
    My "go to" book for rainy days...........Holmes Principles Of Physical Geology.