Question Darkening Aussie Cedar

I'm making a bedside cabinet with an Aussie cedar drawer front & door frame. However, the timber for the drawer front is considerably lighter than that of the frame. Both have an excellent figure, so I don't want to use other pieces. What are the panel's recommendations to slightly darken the light timber? I plan to use an oil finish.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Gooday.

I am no expert in finishing but I think that some contrast in the same timber on a cabinet enhances it.

Don't forget also that timber darkens with the application of a finish.

------------------
    Ian () Robertson
    "We do good turns every day"

Talking

A weak solution of Potassium Bichromate in warm water. Should do the trick nicely.

The Potassium Bichromate should be available from your local chemist. Mix it with hot water intil you get a saturate ie no more of the crystals will dissolve. Then cut a small portion of this mix with 4 parts water to 1 of the mix. Apply warm allow to sit for a couple of minutes then wipe off. When dry moisten with a metho soaked rag to see the final colour. Can be reapplied as many times as you wish till desired colour is achieved.

Don't use full strength as it will darken the timber too quickly and you will have no control over the colour.

The orange colour of the mix is not a stain. This is a chemical dye which has a reaction with the tannin in the timber and chemically changes the colour. Basically it is chemically aging the timber.

This is toxic stuff, so please take note.
    DONOT BREATHE FUMES ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS HOT. USE RUBBER GLOVES AND GOGGLES. STRONG SOLUTION MAY CAUSE SKIN BURNS. KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS AND DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DRINK THE STUFF

Keep the rest for dying other stuff. Works best with tannin rich timbers like mahogany, oak, cedar and others.

I have used it successfully for years and if the above rules are observed it is quite safe to use.

Cheers - Neil

PS Test on a scrap piece or inconspicuous place before doing the whole thing.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

I tend to agree with on this one. But we all have our own tastes.

Probably a good idea to use Neils darkening method if you plan to use an oil finish. Although there are alternatives.

Also it might pay to point out that timber grain running horizontal will look a different colour to grain running vertical. I don't think thats what your explaining though.

Cheers...

------------------
    Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice folks. I decided to go with & Shane and not stain it, and with the darkening when I oiled it, it looks good. The difference in appearance between horizontal & vertical members makes the lighter timber not noticeable.

I'll file the Potassium Buchromate recipe for use another time. Thanks
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook