Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Baby safe finish for a cot.

Hi All
    Looking for a baby safe finish for a cot in the making. The cot is made from Jarrah and Tas Oak. I'm looking for a durable, non colour-changing finish that will have a low-moderate gloss level. I have some Arboroil and Arborwax, the wax says it is safe for toys and salad bowls but no mention on the oil side of things. The oil does not contain linseed oils, gum turpentines or other nasties such as "metallic dryers" but does contain "safe solvents".

Any experience/comments on the arbor-finishes would be greatly appreciated as would any other advice.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim,
    If you go for an alternative a white shellac finish would be fine. Can be improved to a low lustre with applying traditional wax as per the instructions on the information page on Ubeauts products site.
    In most finishes the so called "safe solvents" dry off or change state to fairly inert compounds, sort of like the methylated spirit dry off shellac leaving the solid shellac finish.
    Best wishes,
    Mark

PS sounds like you are in for a couple of wonderful months of sleep depraved nights

Or try a water based satin clear like Aqualac.
    Do or do not.....

Just try on a piece of scrap timber first.

my partner is wanting to build a cot for our first born and i was reading that you need to meet australian safety standards. i had a little look on the internet but couldnt find anything about safety standards for building a cot i was wondering if anybody knew how to find them it would be fantastic to let me know as we only have 4 mths until the baby is here.

Maddie,

I recall someone posting info about the australian standards for cots etc here not that long ago. Have a look at this thread
    Australian Standards for building a cot
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by maddie View Post
    my partner is wanting to build a cot for our first born and i was reading that you need to meet australian safety standards. i had a little look on the internet but couldnt find anything about safety standards for building a cot i was wondering if anybody knew how to find them it would be fantastic to let me know as we only have 4 mths until the baby is here.
    I typed in Australian Safety Standards

Try this site http://www.standards.org.au/ Bring you money with you
    State by state.
    http://www.business.gov.au/Business+...+territory.htm

an interesting PDF http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.o...y_brochure.pdf

More informative as to requirements and its free http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...?OpenDocument=
    Last edited by wheelinround; 27th November 2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: additional web site

thank you very much i will check it out

much appreciated it was a very helpful link wood butcher now i just need the faith in my partner to get the damn cot finished on time

Quote Originally Posted by maddie View Post
    much appreciated it was a very helpful link wood butcher now i just need the faith in my partner to get the damn cot finished on time
    Sounds like you're getting pretty close. In another week you'll be lifting the fridge one handed to clean behind it.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Highly unlikely Eli im busting my but to vacum these days. plus isnt that a mans job