Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Power to outdoor bbq area.

Hi there,

I am in the planning stages for an outdoor entertainment area and would like to run some power to this area. I would be looking at running a few single phase outlets, some low voltage garden lighting and a water feature. I would also be looking to run a pump for a water tank.

There is a outdoor power socket on the house reasonably close to the area, and i reckon another cable could be run from the main board to the pump.

Can anybody advise me what i need to do re compliance and how best to underground the wires. If i do the undergrounding with conduit then let the electrician hook it up is that ok.

Regards
    Graham

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

If you go with a new circuit from the main board (advisable given your apparent intended load) then you'll probably need a compliance certificate (because the main board has been interfered with).

Any buried cable must be 600mm below ground level. The conduit must also be covered with warning tape.

In my experience, the sparky would love it if you dug the trench which they'd then backfill once they've done the conduit. If you did the conduit totally yourself then they may not give you a compliance certificate because they can't be sure exactly where it is in relation to the house (this is marked on the certificate) or whether it is at the proper depth.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Any changes to an installation these days require a certificate of compliance no matter what and you should recieve a copy of this from your sparky (some sparkys on cash jobs... dare i say it might not)

For a small job like that you can dig the trench but it may not work out that much more expensive to have the sparky install the conduit and cable. (personally i dont let anyone else do it but me..Its my licence, my living and my ass if something goes FUBAR) Might make it easier to find a sparky as well to small a job just isnt worth turning up to.(Yes sad but true)

Save you back on the trench digging 500mm is deep enough in heavy conduit (the orange stuff)

Low voltege cables can be run just in the ground but i recommend some light condut if it is in a garden from experiance a shovel doesnt stop at it....