Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default pneumatic jacks for restumping

I am going to restump my house at xmas and instead of labour/time intensive acroproping etc etc i want to get hold of some pneumatic jacks and a length of "I" beam so that i can lift a whole row at a time. A mate who does a lot of reno's swears by this technique. Just hook them up to a compressor and let it do all the lifting. It beats the hell out of pumelling the bjesus out of acroprops. The problem is i have not seen these jacks before and need some photos etc of them and the process if possible. Has anyone done/seen this and do they have any photos. My mate has taken off on a long holiday so hes not much chop.
    Ta
    hoidster

Look under porta power

www.kennards.com.au
    Tools

I thought house lifting was usually done with 10-tonne hydraulic jacks under steel beams? That's how ours was done anyway.

It's generally hydraulic not air powered. I'm sure it's possible, however there have been a few stories of people getting squashed with DIY stumping, so make sure there is some redundancy if you go that way. You are trying to take a shortcut ... just keep that in mind.

I have never worked on a house before we bought ours two years ago. I am precise, and fussy with what I do for a job, so I can put my hand to just about anything that is not artistic.

I have worked on every single part of our house. Except two things. Restumping and Electrical. I pay for them to take the risks that they know and avoid.

So yer gunna spend all yer chrissy holidays (and a bit more) restumping

good luck
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

The restumpers I used got the council permit, engineers signoff of compliance, and had liability insurance. I watched 4 guys spend 5 days under my house working very very hard, and that would have equated to 20 man days of labour by guys that do it for a living. They did some processes that required all 4 to work at once. One directing and calling while others controlled jacks. I can honestly say I have no qualms in spending that kind of money to have that kind of work done again. (not the same stumps of course)

I have re-stumped one house

once

never again, but I respect your drive. These days I'd rather buy and fit a nice 18th century French door latch while someone else is getting squashed

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

My old mans a builder and I am a chippie so we are not totally in the dark of these practices, however, point taken guys and i will get a couple of quotes and compqare with my sums and see if it is worth the squash factor. Ta

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

We've done a few stumps here and there under our place whilst at the same time thinking about a total restump with a bit of a house lift as well.....only problem was we couldn't get any of our three local reblockers to come and have a squiz and give us a quote. So we didn't bother. Just replaced a few stumps using a collection of 20 ton jacks from Supercheap to assist.

Since learnt from an local aquaintance why we couldn't find anyone to come out....the person regarded as 'the best' had just finished a job at their place.

Three bedroom weatherboard. Total restump and a 100mm lift. Using the linked hydraulic jack & steel beam method. Basically it took this bloke six months to do the job.....and he was there for most of it.

Wasn't even game to ask how much the job had cost!!! Even when it was finished the houe STILL needed complete new floor (T&G boards had mostly shattered) and wall lining.....

Having since placed another 80 new stumps for an extension (which took four people five days to do) I suspect that six months is regrettably somewhat fair for replacing about 200 stumps whilst lying on your belly with a house over your head...
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    Having since placed another 80 new stumps for an extension (which took four people five days to do) I suspect that six months is regrettably somewhat fair for replacing about 200 stumps whilst lying on your belly with a house over your head...
    That's a reasonably average time frame for restumping by experienced men.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com