Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Skyscraper reaching for the heavens

The Burj Dubai Skyscraper, a modern day 'tower of babel' has just become the worlds tallest building at 512.1m, and it's still rising at about one floor per day.

It's reportedly supposed to have a finished height somewhere between 700 and just over 1,000 metres. That's more than double the height of the Empire State Building, and way higher than the existing record holder, Taipei 101.

Wiki

Construction pics

There's apparently plans on the drawing board for several buildings even higher than this, also in Dubai.

Are they offering time share?

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

I may be wrong but isnt Dubai all built on reclaimed land
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

A very impressive building. And seemingly just part of an even more massive development of the city, to judge by this photo, with about 20 tower cranes, scattered about like meccano.

Even with the existence of distinct human languages, it's amazing what engineers can achieve.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

It's an interesting place. One of my neighbours (I've only met him once) is based in Dubai. His wife and kids live here and he comes to visit every now and then. You only do that sort of thing if you are making big money. Yet there are people there working on that building who are earning $US4.00 a day.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

A city which has grown from nothing in just a few years to it becoming a major tourist destination equipped with its own snow resort http://www.skidubai.com/skidubai/ski_Dubai/snowpark.asp

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Yet there are people there working on that building who are earning $US4.00 a day.
    Yeh, that's disgusting. Especially considering that the whole place is setting up to become a playground for the rich.

You'd have to grow some sea legs to live or work near the top. Apparently it's designed to sway up to 1.5 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Not sure, but there are a few reclamation projects going on there: Palm Island.
    Dubai promises The World.

On the topic of skyscrapers, just for a laugh, have a look at this White elephant in North Korea.

A friend of ours is a Project Manager out there with Lend Lease, he's about 2 years through a 3 year contract. The money is obviously great and they hope to pay off the house when they get back.

The major problem he has had whilst out there is the treatment of the labourers on the jobs. Basically there's little or no OH&S and injuries are very common.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Most of Dubai is desert and a small coastal strip.

There is a lot of reclaimed sea area that has been made into islands of the coast where there is some spectacular building going on, mainly hotels etc.

Main reason for these reclaimed islands and their commercial development is that, as they are of the mainland, the strict islam prohibitions of no alcohal, gambling, drugs or prostitution do not apply to the foreigners that stay in them but would apply if the hotels are on the mainland.

BTW this is all financed by our exhorbitant petrol prices.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    You'd have to grow some sea legs to live or work near the top. Apparently it's designed to sway up to 1.5 metres.
    Korea.
    1.5m thats nothing when Centrepoint was being built swmbo worked in managment office handing out sea sick pills to construction workers who were swaying 15 foot 4.5 meter either side of centre

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Main reason for these reclaimed islands and their commercial development is that, as they are of the mainland, the strict islam prohibitions of no alcohal, gambling, drugs or prostitution do not apply to the foreigners that stay in them but would apply if the hotels are on the mainland.
    While this is probably valid I think the main reason for the off shore development is that they do not have much coastline and these developments have, I think, doubled oceanfront land available.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    While this is probably valid I think the main reason for the off shore development is that they do not have much coastline and these developments have, I think, doubled oceanfront land available.

HH.
    One of the Shieks visits The Gold Coast ankers has ship off the coast or fly in his own plane ...............could be where he got the idea from a city built on sand. Plenty of investors fom other countries have dived in too. Packer for one!!