Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rangehood requirement

Hi All

Does anyone know what the requirement is for a range hood? I have notice on a couple of Australian TV shows ... cook tops on island benches with no range hood at all. Not sure I'd want to do it because at a minimum you'd want to get rid of the smell but alos the greasy air that would be thrown around I guess.

None the less I'm interested if anyone knows.

Thanks.

I don't think there is any requirement to have one, unless it is a new regulation. Certainly not one I've ever heard of. I think people put them in as a matter of course because they help with the smoke and smells and give you lighting over the stove, but as far as I know it's not mandatory.

Once you do put one in though I believe there are regulations concerning how high they must be from the cooktop and where they vent to.

No regulations mandating extractors (although in my opinion if one is installed it should be compulsory to vent the mongreal)

Hoods over islands and peninsulas are a pain...

Check out this link:

http://www.casf.com.au/PDF/downdraft.pdf

I particularly like the In Wall design.
    The motor can be mounted remotely - under the carcasses, in the wall, in the roof cavity et cetera...

The 900mm unit works at 1000 cubic meters an hour - should be peeling the paint off the walls at that rate.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Wow ... guessing they're expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    Wow ... guessing they're expensive!
    Well, as a craftsman I know once said..."Expensive compared to what?"

For 1000 cubes and a ducted remote motor there isn't much to compare it to on the domestic market.

RRP is just above $1K for the In Wall unit - but if you buy through your friendly local kitchen supplier you could get it for 10 - 20% less...depending on how much he wants the rest of the job...

Glad you liked it - I am definitely impressed until someone convinces me otherwise.

There is a funky video available through the Corian website that features Geoff Janz extolling the virtues of this system - this is not to say that his undoubtedly sponsered opinion adds any weight to the argument in favour of this design, non the less it is an interesting little walkthrough in kitchen design.

And no, this does not mean Corian do me any favours for writing this...

Cheers,

There is a minimum height above the cook top to set the range hood. This because if the frying pan catches fire the flames can not ignite the hood. They must be ducted outside not into the ceiling.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Check out this link:

http://www.casf.com.au/PDF/downdraft.pdf

I particularly like the In Wall design.
    The motor can be mounted remotely - under the carcasses, in the wall, in the roof cavity et cetera...

The 900mm unit works at 1000 cubic meters an hour - should be peeling the paint off the walls at that rate.,
    My uncle has got a DIY version of one of these that uses one of those tubular/rod shaped blower/fan as opposed to the more typical blower that this commercial unit seems to use.

It works in that it certainly sucks air (enough pull flour out of the measuring cup if you sit it too close!) but not enough to catch the smoke and other stuff......they just get too much of a head start going straight up out of the pan!!

All you really need is plain old ceiling extractor fan vented to the outside world....the new Draft Stoppa version costs about $130 for the fan, duct and outside vent. That's where I'll be heading for our new kitchen.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Some good points, and I have to admit you have raised the only concern I have with this design.

If installed as described in the marketing material (150mm above bench height) I agree that most pots and pans will be steaming and smoking above that height, and hot air is hard to drag down.

What if the vent was mounted higher on the wall (if the cooktop is against a wall) say 400 - 500mm?
    This is just a thought experiment as I really like this design but want to be sure that it can work if I am going to continue to recommend it.

The aspect of this design that makes it so attractive is the remote mounting of the fan, which theoretically provides a much quieter experience than the conventional models, that can sound like you have a 747 in the room with you.

I also agree that a ceiling fan is one of the best ways to extract fumes from a kitchen - good suggestion.

Cheers,

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    The aspect of this design that makes it so attractive is the remote mounting of the fan, which theoretically provides a much quieter experience than the conventional models, that can sound like you have a 747 in the room with you.
    You can remote mount the blower fan in the ceiling in a typical rangehood installation - it's called in-line....

Clipsal does one and these guys http://www.universalfans.com.au/inline.htm do a few too
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    You can remote mount the blower fan in the ceiling in a typical rangehood installation - it's called in-line....

Clipsal does one and these guys http://www.universalfans.com.au/inline.htm do a few too

i have one of these connected to my barbeque ,but i have it pushing air away from the appliance and not sucking in line , the reason is that if in line it would get a lot of grease and soot buildup ,by reversing it and sendind airflow away from it all smoke and vapours are sent to the chimney and i dont have a problem with the in line fan getting clogged with flammable solids
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Hi OBBO,
    Firstly, read this, particularly the paragraph headed “How to select your rangehood”:
    http://www.originenergy.com.au/home/template.php?pageid=847
    A few years ago, I went through the process of selecting a rangehood when renovating my kitchen. If you want a copy of my research (Excel file) please PM me and I will email the file to you.
    </O
    Incidentally, I went for the ILVE H75 which can remove up to 850m3 of air per hour. Great for wok cooking.</O

Mike

There are a number of factors which go into making a good canopy/rangehood, air draw being only one. No use having terrific air draw if the filters are rubbish and the motor is so noisy you'd only use it on low. There are a few units on the market with over 1000m3/hr and above which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. There are a number of good units with around 700-800m3/hr which I think are terrific. (by the way, check the net rather than the gross air-draw). It's a bit like saying the fastest car is the best (does it stop, turn, is it comfortable, efficient?).

Where in Australia do the regs state it has to be ducted to atmosphere, rather than in the roof cavity? I prefer ducting outside (providing you also have a self closing flue adaptor) but it's not necessary. The filters catch the grease (providing they're any good, oh and that you clean them once in a while ) so it's only warm air and smells going into the roof cavity (which quickly dissipates). BTW the Ilve units are quite good (as are many other less expensive units). The bench/low-wall units are neat, but not exceptionally effective.

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

Quote Originally Posted by silkwood View Post
    BTW the Ilve units are quite good (as are many other less expensive units)
    Yes, ILVE are excellent. Thats what we are going for, an Ilve cooktop/oven too to.

Because our cook top has a tepanyaki plate, ILVE recommended we get one of there range hood models with better extraction. We are getting the B9 canopy ducted 1200m3/hr

I can't link to it directly but you can check out there site: www.ilve.com.au

iLve also have a current promo. If you buy a rangehood and a cooktop stove they chuck in an iLve micrwave in for free (worth around $750 I think)

Cheers