Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homework needed on E-bay!

Watched this on E-bay for the last few days. I decided not to bid when it passed $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6119&rd=1&rd=1

Here's the same unit new at Carbatec

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind..._350_1390_1410 $199 new.

Don't people do their homework?

Shhhh, keep it between us and we can start a profitable little business re-selling woodworking machinery!

Went for $242.

I would say the seller did do his homework and knew exactly what would happen.

A few years ago before E-bay I had a number of students who had purchased el cheapo lathe set for $199 with a set of 10 turning tools thrown in from a local hardware shop. They were dangerous crap with a bed that bowed and a tail stock that flexed under even the slightest pressure.

I suggested they sell the and buy better ones as soon as possible. Each sold lathe and tools for over $400 and one of them sold to a future student of mine who I told to get rid of it and actually sold it for more than he paid to the next fool.

People have no idea and deserve what they get. I have seen things in the frenzy of auction bidding go for way over their market value on many occasion. One time at an auction in Maldon I saw a length of chain go for over $300 The idiot who won the bidding battle could have purchased it brand new 100 yards down the road for around $120. But to add insult to injury the fool was bidding against his wife who was on the other side of the room ready to pounce on a heap of bone china.

Yep they all deserve what they get.

rrich Guest

Yes, eBay can be a dangerous place.

You have to remember that eBay is a competition destination and NOT a shopping destination. You and I sit here and look at eBay as a possible source for merchandise, knowing full well what the value of the item really is. The vast majority go to eBay and come away with the "LOOK AT WHAT I'VE WON!" attitude. Well, if I wanted to put an extra $100 into the purchase I could "WIN" on eBay too.

Ummmm, I think that I would rather use the extra $100 for beer and buy the product new with a warranty.

True, you must be aware of what you are buying and compare ebay to other retailers. But there are still bargains out there.
    I recently purchased a 4" x 6" linisher with a warranty from Melbourne for ($57 plus $29 postage) $86. This was comparable to around $170 from Timbecon or $199 from Bunnings. The "luck" of securing the linisher for that bid, outweighed the risks it may be a dud! (but it isn't )
    I also purchased a replacement airbrush at a bargain price - you just have to be patient.

Anyway, good on the seller of the dusty for getting such a good price!!

Interesting episode on epay last week.

SWMBO and I decided to sell our scooter as it was not needed anymore so we thought why not and put it on ebay. We deliberately set the buy it now price higher than what we wanted for the scooter and within 20 minutes of listing it was sold. The guy doesn't even live in the same state but has organised transport.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Agree, e-bay can be a good place to buy stuff if you do your homework. I've purchased a few things there and been happy (except a Stanley #5 plane for which I paid too much ).
    The thing is to work out a fair maximum price and get out once the bidding exceeds that price. I suppose the arguement is different for a collectable, but something you can buy at any decent woodworking store?
    Cheers,
    Peter

Default Sad story from e bay

My story is that I bid on a mobile phone (and lost). Since then I have been inundated with spam from Hong Kong etc and all of the messages have an e bay format and heading offering me the chance to become a distributor of mobile phones. (give up my day job?)

After contacting e bay all they can forward me is a standard letter that tells me not to contact or open the e bay message! or there may be a virus. I ask ' How did they get my e mail address if not from e bay?' There appears to be a major security problem here. If I bid, somehow my e mail address goes to these people in Hong Kong.

Carry Pine

Carry,

I have setup a yahoo email account just for ebay and similar stuff so worst case if it becomes a dumping ground for spammers I can get rid of it and setup a new one without interupting my normal email activities
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I find eBay great for buying stuff, but then again I am an experienced auction attendee and I always find out how much things are before I bid.

I've noticed lately though that the prices are going mad. I usually put a bid in for what I want to pay and if it goes beyond that I'm out. And lately, I'm out of just about everything I bid on. Ah well. We are just starting to sell stuff on eBay regularly too - so hopefully we'll benefit from that side of things!
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Default Sounds like the time is right to join Ebay

Sounds like time to set up a yahoo email account, sell the old record collection and go to the shops to buy the tools with the warranty.

I've seen the madness at big public auctions. Once watched a pair of Ugg boots go for $120 at a Railway lost and found auction when you could pick them up for $20. It was pure madness between two women. The only good thing it did was to lock the one woman out for the rest of the auction as it seemed she had no more money to spend.

I totally agree with the sentiment of knowing the value, setting your price and writing it down so you can't forget it if the madness strikes.

Cheers,

Default lathe madness

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    A few years ago before E-bay I had a number of students who had purchased el cheapo lathe set for $199 with a set of 10 turning tools thrown in from a local hardware shop. They were dangerous crap with a bed that bowed and a tail stock that flexed under even the slightest pressure.

ubeaut,

I know nothing about lathes but I think I saw one of these at the local recycle market this weekend and it had been sitting out in the weather for some time. No tools or chuck but a very heavy home made steel stand to support it. I nearly broke out laughing when the recycle seller told me a $100. No wonder I only seem to be buying nuts and bolts and scraps of metal from them these days.

No matter where or what you buy you need to have an idea of prices or you can get stung.

But ebay is very convenient,
    specially living in the sticks where you don't even get bunnies junkmail.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

ebay is like any other auction... have a good idea of a) what you want b) how much its worth to buy near to you and c) how much you are prepared to pay for it then set YOUR price... and get out if it goes higher dont be tempted into the old "oh its only another few bob no big deal"... set the end price and stick to it... solid!! same way in a normal aution no ifs or buts item hits the price stop... ooh yes Ive shed tears at some of the timber Ive not won by a few dollars because I stick to that set price but at the end of the day who knows how high the winner would go to?

We have been enjoying ebay for some time now and have done exactly that and never been worried if we were outbid... control is the biggest thing.

Definantly are some excellent bargains ...16 year olds ball gown for $10US + $15 postage perfect fit and perfect garment ($25USD for a garment worth in excess of $400AUD? NO WUKKERS!) the missus buys her fat quaters by the truck load from the states for next to nothing as do I buy my veneers (never more than $100AUD total) We dont buy big ticket items off ebay cause we have a theory... if were gonna pay more than 2 or 300 for something then by gawd we want to see it in the flesh and no electricals period... and I dont buy tools of ebay since the damned postage would be a killer from east coast to west coast... I also rarely buy from Aussie ebay any more as the quality and quanitity just isnt comparable to the US for the price.

Aussie sellers seem to think they can charge like wounded bulls while giving little and yet with a little looking on other ebays overseas you can find the same item in quantity for less than you will pay for something from Aussie

Dont get me wrong I WOULD support Aussie sellers... IF they didnt think and act like they were giving you an absolute bargain for a pitance... when with just a bit of checking around comparing prices and such on other ebays you can get a) more b) better c) cheeper from over seas... and then onsell the excess if you want!

Jo has thought of doing so with her fat quaters as I have with the veneers... the potential to recoup and make money is there when you check just those to items out... but see we like our fat quaters and veneers and dont need the dramas and hassle of having to sell and then package and send the flamin things! so we just keep them and use them ourselves... and tell people to check overseas sellers!

Oh one thing... check by sending a seller an email asking a) if they send to Aus and dont have a problem if they say no b) what the postage costs would be... these can be increadibly variable even from the same town have several contacts with them to try to establish a rapore with the seller first.. but in the long run doing such "research" is worth while... AND they almost always include a bonus of something "special" in the parcel... my last lot included 4 LARGE sheets of Redwood crotch that make 2 perfect matchups for 4ft dia table tops!... the previous one included 20 misshaped but matching sheets of Olive crotch... and so on this is always additional to the actual purchased order so a bonus and so if one were to onsell even just these one would make the money back...

I was going to put up couple of links to the US and Aussie ebays for the veneers but seems the Aussie ebay sellers have either gone to ground or have found another avenue to sell their 2 - 4 small sheets.... ah well no wukkers!

Cheers
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!