Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Saturday night at the hospital

I spent last Saturday night and Sunday morning at the local hospital with bad back/shoulder pains. The doctor diagnosed shingles this morning but that's not the story.

The waiting room was quite full. 2 kids with breathing problems, an older gent with chest pains (who thankfully jumped the queue) and a young fella with a lacerated hand from work.

The rest was made up of:
    2 broken noses (pub fight),
    1 stabbing,
    and a bloke needing stiches for the 4X2 around the head (that's the woodwork part). He was the walking wounded, his opponent was already in casualty.

The count
    5 caused by violence, at least 3 involving booze.
    5 "others".

So on a small sample of one night at one hopital, half our casualty dollars goes to fixing up the innocent (or not so innocent) victims of violence. Should I be surprised?

regards

John
    Last edited by scooter; 28th May 2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: "Bottling" bit was just bloody gratuitous

John,

My wife spent some time working in A&I and the percentage is much higher....

Then there is the money being spent patching up the nurses after the drunk that started the fight wants to continue it with the nurse

Glad she is out of it and into something quiter
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Culture of binge drinking added to the top of legislative strangulation of responsibility. IMHO

Hope your feeling OK
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Culture of binge drinking ......
    Bring back 6pm close of all pubs and clubs.

I took a person to emergency a month ago and had a similar experience. Added to the injured drunks were a heap of injured sportspeople. It was Sunday evening.

We had the pleasure of being sprayed with broken glass when a punter, who's partner had just committed suicide, got upset and threw their drink bottle at the glass screen separating us from the staff. The bottle broke not the screen so hopefully they stock their drink machine with plastic bottles from now on.

It is not a place you want to frequent and no doubt this was an average night so my hat goes off to all the staff as they have a lot to deal with.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Sounds like another typcal saturday night in down town Ipswich
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    Bring back 6pm close of all pubs and clubs.
    Well alcohol is a drug, so lets make it illegal.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Well alcohol is a drug, so lets make it illegal.
    They tried that in the states and it didn't work.

Yes they did, but they hadn't included it in the 'war on drugs' that's been so overwhelmingly successful around the world.

The bloke who attacked me the other week get a bunch of stitches in his head (rub hands smilie) and I think they forgot the anaesthetic and used the large needle as he was being very aggressive
    Mick

avantguardian

From what I've heard about drugs I don't think they are winning the war.

Of course not, waging war on an idea or desire is as futile as turning a really good vase out of gidgee with one gouge and only sharpening the bloomin thing once
    Mick

avantguardian

Mate's dad was a doctor (now retired). When he was working as an intern at a 'Catholic Hospital' one inebriated customer tried it on with the nuns. When he woke up, all stitched neatly together, he was informed that he had better behave of the doctor would hit him a second time. The customer questioned this, and was advised that the doctor was also the state light weight(?) amateur boxing champion. He went quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanavitch View Post
    I spent last Saturday night and Sunday morning at the local hospital with bad back/shoulder pains. The doctor diagnosed shingles this morning but that's not the story.
    john The waiting list is nothing unusual , Have a brother in law thats an ambo and your experiance is mild

As to the shingles the eldest daughter once got them and the best advice was to cover them with clear nail polish , it stops your clothes touching them and will reduce your problem

Rgds
    Russell
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Shingles. BTDT...

I had them when we went on a few days sightseeing in Kyoto, lotsa fun that was. Especially trying to find some calamine lotion.

I do have a suggestion however, you can try it if you like but it might be just a little bit 'out there'.

I had a tube of Zovirax, the coldsore cream. Shingles is chicken pox, a viral disease. Coldsores are also a viral thing (thank ^%^&^ I grew out of them!). Zovirax is one of the very few anti-viral medications.

Me feeling pretty itchy and annoyed figured that the anti-viral medicine might just clear up them pesky, virus filled spots.

All treated spots gone within 24 hours. A few I didn't get to hung around for a few days.

Maybe not kosher, maybe not even safe and probably not recommended, but if they come around again I will hit them again the same way.

Take it easy either way, and stay home. No point sharing it around for no good reason if you can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    Sounds like another typcal saturday night in down town Ipswich
    Bluegum

I wish it was just Ipswich. Then we could just move. The problem seems to be everywhere though.

I know we have a big problem with "chroming" among the street kids, but they did not seem to be represented. They seem to be intent on dissolving their own brains rather than battering others.

The problem can't be solved by banning alchohol. Should we ban booze because a percentage of the population turn in to ****wits when they drink?

Should we ban spray paint because a percentage of the popuation fry their brains?

Should we ban cold syrups with pseudoephedrine because a percentage of the population turn it into "ice"?

I don't have the answer. I just get ****ed when the majority are penalised because of the actions of a minority.

John