Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Architrave Light Switch

Hi,

I've got a replacement new HPM switch for the main room lights to replace the old one. There appears to be 3 holes in the back labled "loop, 1, C and 2 which is blanked off. When the electrician comes to wire it up which ones will he use?

Regards,
    Gordon
    Help ma boab, the bairns goat it awe wrang!

Does it matter, when he arrives he is bound to know which one, but why wouldn't you let him get the switch?

Proberly the same ones in use on the existing switch
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I could tell you, but I am not qualified so will leave it to the sparky you have got coming
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootsmon View Post
    Hi,
    I've got a replacement new HPM switch for the main room lights to replace the old one. There appears to be 3 holes in the back labled "loop, 1, C and 2 which is blanked off. When the electrician comes to wire it up which ones will he use?
    Seeing no one else has really helped answer your question, here is a little bit of info for you

First, light switches (at least ALL the ones I've used) have 4 holes. Which is like you describe.

The connections are used for the live wire, the return to the light itself, the one that is blanked off is used when you have a two-way switch setup (two separate switches controlling the same light fitting), and the last connection does NOTHING

Well it does do something - sometimes It is/can be used as connection point to allow connections to other wires. It used like a terminal block to connect multiple wires.

DON'T FIDDLE with the switch though UNLESS you know what you are doing. Electricty kills and electric shocks are not much fun, I've had a few over the years.
    Kind Regards

Peter

Hi Grodon
    Help my BOAB??, the kid's got it all wrong.

What is boab? Is it Baby?
    Kind Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Hi Grodon

Help my BOAB??, the kid's got it all wrong.

What is boab? Is it Baby?

Google "the broons" or goto http://www.thatsbraw.co.uk/The%20Broons/Broons-Page.htm

Normally,

Terminal 1 would be the active to the luminaire.

Terminal 2 is only used for 2 way switching eg stairs, hallways, rooms with two doors.

The common terminal is where the active from the switchboard is connected. Normally two would be connected there, the active supply coming from the last switch and the active supply going to the next switch.

The loop is not always used, it is not actually involved in any switching at the switch and the black neutral wires are often simply joined here (ie neutral from luminaire and neutrals of the main circuit)

Of course you probably don't nee dto tell the sparky this, they would know already

Cheers
    Pulse

Phew

Glad someone else answered that. Saved me from getting jumped on from great heights because I usually can't help myself answering such highly technical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    I could tell you, but I am not qualified so will leave to the sparky you have got coming

You could always PM him instead. Then we couldn't sue you if you were wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    Normally,

Terminal 1 would be the active to the luminaire.

Terminal 2 is only used for 2 way switching eg stairs, hallways, rooms with two doors.

The common terminal is where the active from the switchboard is connected. Normally two would be connected there, the active supply coming from the last switch and the active supply going to the next switch.

The loop is not always used, it is not actually involved in any switching at the switch and the black neutral wires are often simply joined here (ie neutral from luminaire and neutrals of the main circuit)

Of course you probably don't nee dto tell the sparky this, they would know already

Cheers
    Pulse
    OK so if the sparky isolated the circuit, took off the old switch in a circa 1950's house he would see an old switch with 2 black and 2 red wires. Would he then combine the two red into C and the two black into Loop? He never turned up today so I didn't get a chance to ask him.

OK so if the sparky isolated the circuit, took off the old switch in a circa 1950's house he would see an old switch with 2 black and 2 red wires.
    I don't spose the cable was enclosed in black outer insulation by any chance ?

Black outer insualtion Yup

OK so if the sparky isolated the circuit, took off the old switch in a circa 1950's house he would see an old switch with 2 black and 2 red wires. Would he then combine the two red into C and the two black into Loop?
    Hootsmon,
    Sorry if this comes across wrong, however if you need to ask these questions I dont think you should be touching this switch. Get the sparky to do it.

If you were to join the two red wires together and the two black wires together (depending on how its wired) you would be bypassing the switch and all it really would be is a connection block. However depending on which position the switch was in, you could potentially be creating a short circuit.

I have had to fix a fault when my Uncle tried to change a switch. He was confused as no matter what way he wired it, it wouldnt work. One way he was switching lights off over half the house, another way the light in the room just didnt work, and another way he was blowing fuses.

I dont blame you for wanting to do it yourself as sparkies cost a fortune, but a burnt down house or death is definately worse.

Good luck
    Steve

Black outer insualtion Yup
    Then you're most likely up for a whole rewire not just a switch replacement.

The black stuff is plastic insulation which falls apart after a number of years leaving bare uninsulated copper and apart from being dangerous is also a fire hazard. Any decent sparky probably won't touch it until the cabling has been replaced. I'd be getting someone out to give you a quote to replace it all and do an inspection to see much of that cable there is.