Thread: Spray guns

Default Spray guns

im not sure about in Au but i was wondering if you can get the same finish as a n aerosol with a spray gun and a varnish that is spray enabled. in which case does quality of the gun matter, do i need a compressor and how would i thin the varnish if its viscosity is too high?

these are some i found http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...ay+gun&x=0&y=0

A spray gun gives a lot better finish than a airosol can, you can adjust a spray gun over a wide range to alter the way it sprays, an airosol can has no adjustment it has to be used as it comes out of the can often too badly to give a reasonable finish.

Most spray guns need compressed air to work, its a case of how much are you willing to spend, there are cheaper types of guns that have other systems to produce a spray pattern such as an electic pump incorporated into the gun. Do a search on the forum to become knowledgable about guns. It will depend of what you are going to do as to which way you might proceed.

Vitrually any paint you can buy in a container can be sprayed, Most paints need to be thinned to allow spraying as the air dries them out as they leave the gun. The solvent to thin them with is usually noted on the label.

How much thinning depends on the product, again if no instruction are on the label contact the company they can provide the information.

Again search the forum under viscosity for more information.

are the elcheapo spray guns that dont need a compressor any good?

What do you want to paint? If we had an idea as to what you are wanting this for it would save some time.

A compressed air gun gets a constant even flow of air so the gun sprays evenly making it possible to paint a surface without marks in it.

Some elcheapo guns use a fan to blow air, some use a piston to pump air. The result may be OK or terrible depending on the actual one you choose.

i now have my gun but i am wondering is it better to spray a large area fro a distance of a small area from up close?

I've found its generally better to be further away (although not that far that the paint starts to dry before hitting the target). Too close and you get runs. You also have to have your arm moving at a reasonable rate - again if you hold still you will get runs. Practice is wonderful of course.

Depends on what paint you are using. most of the water based paints need to be thinned quite extensively to spray with that type of gun, but they spray oil paints quite well. Getting the right action when spraying just takes practice, remember not to twist or flex the wrist when spraying, spray right off the work piece if you can before releasing the trigger, And start spraying as you approach the workpiece dont wait until you are over the workpiece, your gun should be spraying before you reach it, dont pause, keep your distance from the work piece constant and keep the gun moving. A common mistake most people make when first using a spray gun is to fan the gun and not hold it at a constant distance from the work piece, this results in uneven application and over-spray on the work itself causing a dry patchy effect.
    I have been spray-painting for over 40 years industrial and automotive and prefer the compressor and spray gun but you have chosen a good starting point and all I can say is don't give up on it keep practicing and eventually you will wonder what you found so difficult about it. Good Luck with your new gun.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Default Gun uses

Using one of those piston type wagner guns I found very useful for painting awkward pieces like lattice etc which take forever with a brush. A gun will cover it in no time. The advice above is spot on, you need to start the spray before your hit your piece and apply light coats to avoid runs, which are easier to get on vertical surfaces cause the paint is thinned.
    Jason

"People find me easy going once they see things my way."