Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Davey Spa Motor problems

Last night, (after 3 years without use) I tried starting the spa in our bath. Apart from finding that my toddler had ripped out the air hose that stopped/started the motor and having to use a bike pump to start it, I then found that water was spurting out of the hole in the top of the motor. I've attached photos of what I mean.

3 questions;

1. Is water meant to spurt out of that hole or do I have a problem?

2. What can I do about starting/stopping the motor? I haven't got the know how to reconnect another hose to the underside of the push switch on the side of the bath. &

3. Should this motor, installed by the previous occupants in about 1991, be serviced/oiled or something?

Thanks if you can give me some advice.

No replies... that sucks!
    in the hole on top there should be a round rubber thing with a small weight in top. it may have dried out and perished or become dislodged. you can't wreck anything by undoing the screws and checking it out.

I'm not sure i follow the air hose problem.... get some tubing (petshop has fishtank stuff which will do but is not the most ideal... something a tiny bit stiffer would be best) connect it to the place you point out, do your best to feed it back inside to the button on the bath (it'll either just unscrew or pry out).
    a bit of yellow-tongue or something similarly hard yet flexible will help run the tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by vlv8vic View Post
    No replies... that sucks!
    Thanks for the reply.

I'd actually forgotten I'd posted it's been that long.

Will give your recommendations a go.

Cheers.

oiling... no, not really. keep it sealed and it should last for ages. if there is a grease nipple on each end it may be worthwhile to get a greasegun and lubricate the bearings, but thats about it.

if you're really worried about it, repaint the outside so that all those rust patches are covered up. use a nice thick paint intended for a wet environment and you should go right. if those rust patches get bigger you may start to have problems if the outer casing gets holes in it.

the air line that was disconnected i'd imagine is the brake for the motor if you need to use a bike pump to start the motor. rubber tubing as recommended is your best bet. i don't mean to sound condescending, but make sure you get one where the internal diameter of the tube fits the nozzle properly. hose clamps aren't supposed to seal it, only to secure it.

all it would take to reconnect should be pull the old one off and push the new one on.

and yes, i think you do have a problem with water coming out that hole. I wouldn't expect it to occur but i could be wrong.

The air pipe is to allow remote pneumatic switching, isolating the person from any chance of harm by using an electrical switch in a wet area.

All you have to do is make sure the tube is connected to the motor (the switch contacts will be inside the end of it) and to the switch plunger on the side of the spa.

When you press the plunger, the pressure pushes on a small diaphragm inside the motor, and closes contacts.

If water is leaking out the top there, then I'd say the mechanical seal is buggered. Not running for 3 years won't have done it any favours.

I would suggest removing it from the system, take it to a pool pump repairer & pay the 1 hours labour + seal cost (probably $25 for the seal) and have it fixed.

Then put it all back in & just attach the air line.