Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Masonite vs. Plasterboard?

Greetings all,

I'm "doing up" mum & dads weekender (water damage mostly). The place has been extensively lined with masonite in some areas, Gyprock in two bedrooms and fibro(cracked) to the bathroom & sun room.

Given the need to reline I've got two options - DIY or sub it out. Budget says DIY but open to suggestions.

Either way (and here's the question), do I stick with masonite or go to plasterboard? Anyone had any experience?

Any input would be appreciated - I'm flying solo.

cheers

Steve

Plaster board is cheaper than masonite.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I would use 6mm MDF rather than Masonite joined together with either the plastic joining strips or covered with thin wooden cover strips which you can rip out of some 90*35mm pine studs on a TS.

Plasterboards may be cheaper but joining sheets together is more work so it may not be DIY.

BTW MDF is cheaper than Masonite as well.

Peter.

Well finished plasterboard looks much better, IMHO.
    TM

I trust you've attended to the source of the water damage. If there's a possibility of a repeat, your material choices might need a re-think, such as inclusion of cement board.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Only one real option for a good finish.

Plasterboard.

MDF is an easy option but will still look Yuck!

Like Joe says make sure you fix the leaking.

A good job of plastering can be done by beginners if you take your time and follow some good principles. Many all through the posts in this forum and also my web site.

good luck with it.

Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Just to be the odd one out, I'd go for Masonite - Much more water resistant to water than MDF, a bit more than plaster and less likely to grow mould if its damp & locked up. Also a bit more 'accident proof' if the grandkids start racing around the place.

What Rod has said. I have used MDF before as I had a tonne of it leftover from some project. Never again any hint of water and it will buckle.

It doesnt take too long to teach yourself how to set the joints with plasterboard.

Wow,
    Such brilliant feedback - thankyou all. The property has been re-roofed so most of the water issues are gone. The last few leaks are from the cracked fibro to the back of the house facing the bathroom, which I'll caulk in the short term.
    I'm ok with plasterboard other than the weight and the dust - as I said I'm on my own, so handling the ceiling gets cumbersome.
    Any suggestions for suppliers around the Newcastle/Lakes area?

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Plasterboard. Masonite in my experience is just one step away from termite poo.

Virtually every bulk hardware in the area will be able to help with supply plus there will be trade outlets from Boral and CSR as well. Trade outlets may provide better support for advice etc.

As for handling, get thee to a Coates Hire or smiilar and hire a plasterboard lift. Makes the fitting a doddle even on ceilings. I'd hire one even if there were four of me doing the job let alone one.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

hire a pannel lifter for the ceiling sheets, it makes the job a hell of a lot easier for the beginner.

Sorry I cant help you with a supplier up there we can only supply Melbourne and Sydney clients.

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Bit late chimeing in now, but what the hell...

I'm relining the entire interior of our house with plasterboard at the moment. It was all masonite before, and it's bloody aweful stuff. Masonite gives bugger all sound proofing, so all the neighbours get to listen in when you have a barney with the missus. To top it off it gives virtually no thermal isulation either. I don't know how plasterboard rates as thermal insulation, but it's gotta be heaps better than masonite. The only good things about masonite; it's easy to rip the old stuff out, and it doesn't take up too much room in the dumpster.

I'm putting on an extension out the front, so I figured I may as well do the rest of the house too. Pretty easy with one of those panel lift things.

Quote Originally Posted by bsrlee View Post
    Just to be the odd one out, I'd go for Masonite - Much more water resistant to water than MDF, a bit more than plaster and less likely to grow mould if its damp & locked up. Also a bit more 'accident proof' if the grandkids start racing around the place.
    Nah! TOO expensive. ONLY the SURFACE is a LITTLE more resistant to water, when the water is in between the ssurafces masonite is just as bad wet.

ANYTHING other than gyprock/plasterboard will look $^&*( (insert your own expletive here ) UGLEEEE!
    Kind Regards

Peter

Hi

As for handling, get thee to a Coates Hire or smiilar and hire a plasterboard lift. Makes the fitting a doddle even on ceilings. I'd hire one even if there were four of me doing the job let alone one.
    Yes, great for ceilings - the ONLY way (IMHO) to do plasterboard ceilings, but you don't really need it for walls. It makes the wall job more difficult.

Don't forget to offset the plasterboard vertical joins
    Kind Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    .....................I'd hire one even if there were four of me doing the job let alone one.

If there were four of me doing a job I'd be more than happy to supervise the other three. Anyone seen the movie "Multiplicity"? One of my favourite movies and a great hit with a lot of mates who are also in building.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938