Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rustins Danish Oil advice

Hi there. I'm currently working on a redgum slab dining table. Have done a final sand of 800 grit and have applied my first coat of danish oil(rustins)I applied it with a brush then removed the excess after 5 minutes. I'm going to apply 3-4 coats leaving 24 hours for each one.. My question is how long should I leave the oil to dry before I apply bees wax? or should I not use it at all as I have found that wax leave water marks from glasses or is that because I'm using it wrong? Thanks for any advice

When I have used danish oil I have left the last coat for up to a week to dry, simply as that is the next time that I can get back to it, and it hasn't been a problem. I use Ubeaut traditional wax over the top as bees wax has a low melting point and will go sticky on hot days and obviously when heat is applied.

Not sure if I would go a wax over on not on a table top myself ..... I will let others comment.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I agree with Sir Stinkalot on both points - a week or so is generally enough after the last coat and use a hard wax like Traditional Wax rather than bees wax.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

-1 here. If your DO finish is done properly you won't need wax. Any case, the wax is less durable and more prone to marking than the oil so why bother.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    -1 here. If your DO finish is done properly you won't need wax. Any case, the wax is less durable and more prone to marking than the oil so why bother.
    True.

But a light coat of Ubeaut traditional wax gives a nice, silky feel. (Come on Rsser work with us here)
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

... now that you mention it, yep, go for the silky feel ;-}

And don't forget to cut with EEE between coats of DO.

(So when does the parcel arrive?)
    Cheers, Ern

So its okay to use EEE between coats? Does danish oil and EEE blend okay?

I don't know about between coats but this is cut from the EEE page....

Many other finishes will also be greatly enhanced by using EEE - Ultra Shine to finish the finish. These include Organ Oil, Danish oil, polyurethane, nitrocellulose lacquer, French polish, spirit varnish, spa vanish, etc.

And this is cut from the Trad wax page....

Use Traditional Wax for the maintenance of furniture and most polished surfaces. Can be applied to French Polished surfaces and over all lacquers, polyurethane, Danish oil, etc. This wax is fantastic for use over Organoil if the oil is applied as per instructions. Make sure the surface of the timber is clean then apply Traditional Wax with a soft rag. Buff off with another clean soft rag and you have done.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Macka, sorry to confuse you. My reply to Matrix was tongue in cheek so pls ignore it. But Cliff's astuteness has shed light on the real situation.

Really, with your approach to finishing the redgum the grain should be filled with the DO slurry and it shouldn't need EEE or wax. The only time I use wax over DO is when some pores remain open or if I want more gloss. Otherwise the DO is plenty durable for furniture and functional turnings.
    Cheers, Ern

After finishing with the Danish Oil or any other oil finish it is best to leave for up to 3 weeks for the finish to fully cure.

Sometimes the timber may mat of more than you like then use the traditional wax to give it a soft sheen.

As with any table, coasters or placemats should be used to help protect the finish from any uwanted spills or leakages.

Do not use beeswax on its own as it will remain tacky especially in Mildura where it is warm most of the year round.

You will find most good waxes are a combination of beeswax and carnubra wax and other essential bits so it will be more durable .
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

thanks for the advice everyone

one other quick thing. If I do leave it 3 weeks for the oil to set then apply wax how long should I wait till the wax fully sets?

About one beer.
    As soon as it cools.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Ah, there is so much to be learned just reading the stuff here. Thank you all for shedding light on a subject of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    Ah, there is so much to be learned just reading the stuff here. Thank you all for shedding light on a subject of interest.
    yes it is true.

The measurement of '1 Beer' in regards to the amount of time, is very important.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein