Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Compare Bricklaying Prices

I was just wondering what prices Brickies are getting in other areas.We are currently getting $780.00-$800.00/1000.Plus extras ie:$20/metre sills & headers,$100.00/1000 double face,$200.00minimum for gables,$70.00/metre for 45 or 135degree cornersetc etc.How does that shape up in other areas.I'm sure any other brickies will agree it still is not enough when you take into account how hard we have to work compared to sparkies,plumbers,chippies & even painters whom all have gone around us in terms of earningsfor amount of effort!!!!

Default Compare Prices

Quote Originally Posted by jako58au View Post
    I was just wondering what prices Brickies are getting in other areas.We are currently getting $780.00-$800.00/1000.Plus extras ie:$20/metre sills & headers,$100.00/1000 double face,$200.00minimum for gables,$70.00/metre for 45 or 135degree cornersetc etc.How does that shape up in other areas.I'm sure any other brickies will agree it still is not enough when you take into account how hard we have to work compared to sparkies,plumbers,chippies & even painters whom all have gone around us in terms of earningsfor amount of effort!!!!
    Dont any other Brickies on the forum want share their prices?

Quote Originally Posted by jako58au View Post
    Dont any other Brickies on the forum want share their prices?

Not really.

The job determines the price.

Al

Not many bricks layed round here (North QLD) but I think they're getting about the same here. And around the $3.00 a block, supply mortar, for 200 series blocks.
    I only wish it was like it was 20+ years ago. If it was indexed to inflation from 25 years ago, it would be well over $1000.00 / 1000 and $5.00 a block.

I'm not a brickie and have never had a brick house ... how long does it take to do 1000?

G/day jako,The rates that you quoted are about the going price here in Wagga mate.Funny how it works out like that even though we are not in contact with each other.I have a few mates in the game in different places and generally the prices are close,except in the north coast region where they are lagging behind pretty badly (around $680 per 1000 +extras they are saying in the Coffs Harbour area)We are laying quite a few rockface blocks on housing (390mm*190mm*90mm)and are getting $3.60 +GST for them,which works out ok but they are hard going.My nephew is in Perth and he is getting around the same money as us but laying alot of guts bricks (all solid brick over there)so it works out alright money.Regards Terry

I cant for the life of me work out why brickies have to discus rates in the open world?

No other trade does it??

You are bringing about your own demise by doing so.

The clients will say, so and so only charges $xxx per thousand, can you beat it?
    This is probably why the rates havent risen realistically for the last 30 years.

Al

Al,I can't see any problems with it at all.If a bloke in Mudgee wants to know what we get here it is no big secret. Bricklaying prices are and always have been very transparent.Most people know that bricklaying is quoted per 1000 bricks,and while it is quoted that way it will be hard to improve the conditions in the game.What other job quotes you for 20 sq mtrs of surface area.Tiling is per sq mtr,carpenter's frame and trusses,fix-out etc is per mtr,cement rendering the same.I'm not sure if prospective customers in Wagga will check out the Woodworker's forum for an update on rates in Mudgee before they get us to do their brickwork.We usually know pretty well what blokes are getting in most areas but it is subject to supply and demand and we understand that it doesn't affect us all that much favourably or otherwise.Not quite sure if our demise is imminent Al as there doesn't seem to be alot of good boys coming through in these parts,I chalk up forty years next year so won't mind too much anyway.Regards Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Not quite sure if our demise is imminent Al as there doesn't seem to be alot of good boys coming through in these parts,I chalk up forty years next year so won't mind too much anyway.
    Not sure that you are altogetherly correct there Terry.

I have nothing against bricklayers, some of my best friends are bricklayers, but if you can tell me where the sense in paying someone who may not turn up if it's a bit cold or wet or the fishing's too good to lay 1000 little things, then pay someone else who may not turn up to plaster over them, when I can just drop in a single panel that looks the same, but was made in a factory where no one cared about the weather, and it's cheaper and it isn't going to crack because the stuff's going to shrink at a known rate, not grow twenty years later ....

Aaaarrgh!

Bricks were great things when we didn't know any better! It may not happen in our lifetime, but Ozwinner's quite correct!

Cheers,

P

Midge, I can just see you and some other builder/developer's getting together to discus prices and profit margins.

It wouldnt happen..

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post

The clients will say, so and so only charges $xxx per thousand, can you beat it?

Al
    Al, are you seriously saying that you haven't asked the same question of another tradie or person in a shop?

When I built my house some of the quotes from tradies were totally outrageous, in some cases the highest quote was more than double the lowest.

And yes, when I gave the job of laying my bricks to a 2 man brickies team, they had the lowest quote, but I had also observed their work on the block next door, very neat work and they always turned up when they said they would.

They finished on time and on budget and the brickwork is as neat as a pin.

BitingMidge

Ever heard of cyclones?
    Steel reinforced, ugly, concrete filled, rough as guts block walls win hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Al, are you seriously saying that you haven't asked the same question of another tradie or person in a shop?
    I discus rates all the time but not on an international open forum.

I couldnt see Ford comparing rates with GMC or Mercedes on the open internet.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Blocklayer View Post
    BitingMidge

Ever heard of cyclones?
    Steel reinforced, ugly, concrete filled, rough as guts block walls win hands down
    I'm not saying we don't use core-filled block structures we do (because like you blokes we're stuck in the past!) , only that I reckon their life-span is nearing it's use-by date!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post
    Midge, I can just see you and some other builder/developer's getting together to discus prices and profit margins.

It wouldnt happen..
    Of course it wouldn't, for starters it would be a breach of the Trade Practices Act!

Cheers,

P