Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive MP3s

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Default Automotive MP3s

Yeah, talking about me MGB again, the Little Red Rollerskate

The wee B type has a cassette player in her. Is there any way of connecting my mp3 player to it? Something that plugs into the cassette deck (I saw a similar gadget for a portable CD player ... but don't have said portable CD player)? Could I make up a plug for the speakers that plugs into my mp3 player? Am I better off buying a new unit that plays mp3 CDs?

The reason I ask is that I listen to audio books a lot, both on CD and mp3, but can't listen to them in the MG ... unless of course, I get cassette tape audio books from the library which is just making my life more complicated than it already is (yes yes, MG ownership and masochism, I know, but I still love the little red brute so there )

Richard
    next week, I ask about bike racks for the MG

Not sure but you maybe able to buy a tape style insert to put into the tape player which you just plug into the earphone socket on the mp3 I have an elcheapo CD player and I use the the tape insert to play mp3's from my pocket PC obn the car radio/tape player.

You could try Tricky Dickies or Jaycar/Leadin Edge Electronics.

yeah, just get something like this http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/C6701 most electronic stores will have them.

I personally use a FM transmitter. You just dial the radio into the same frequency as the transmitter, plug the mp3 player into the beast and have fun. I have been in the middle of small convoys in the sticks with everyone listening to the music from my mp3 player on their own radios. Only useful if your car radio has FM though.

shaun

If ya MG has an FM radio, getta FM modulator into which you plug your MP3 player. Then select appropriate frequency on said radio and your'e away.

Also I think they do make a gizmo like a cassette which plugs into your MP3 player and the casstettey part goes into your cassette player.

Also you could buy an MP3 player specifically for the MG

( I went with option 1, not for an MG, but similar reasons, ie audio books.)
    Boring signature time again!

Daddles,

You got two options.

First is you can get a cassette insert thing as you suggested.

The second is you can get one where you plug in you MP3 player and it transmits on an FM frequency (A Bit like the newer Drive in theater speakers).

I have one of the second variety and it seems to work fine, picked mine up from that big yellow store for about $30.

My question is why have you turned on the radio in the first place, that is what the exhaust note is for
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Amazing four replies in five minutes talk about helping people out.

A nifty device I was shown a while back was an MP3 player that plugged in the cigarette lighter, transmitted on FM, but the best part was it used a conventional USB memory stick so you could easily whack in a different set of music!
    Ray

Daddles I use a cassete insert on my bike tape deck. just push it in and use the normal controls on the tape player for volume etc.
    got mine from Go LO for around $18. heaps on ebay too. Beats playing around with clear FM station while driving
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Amazing four replies in five minutes talk about helping people out.
    Mate we're good. The scary part is, we all had the same advcie.

Zathras, this is the type I have. No need for batteries or nuthin'. Although it does have a cable to go into the earplughole of a more conventional type MP3 player.
    Boring signature time again!

Recommend getting a good one like a Belkin or a Gryphon (sp? Griffin?), sound quality is supposed to be better.

Reviewed in this-or-a-recent-months PC User mag I think.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

If your cassette player has a ............plug (Stuff it forget what its called) in the rear of it you dont need the fm transmitter just a cable that plugs between your mp3 and cassette pl;ayer I bought such earliere this week for my BIG truck. Works so fine

Tony
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Quote Originally Posted by zathras View Post
    A nifty device I was shown a while back was an MP3 player that plugged in the cigarette lighter, transmitted on FM, but the best part was it used a conventional USB memory stick so you could easily whack in a different set of music!
    Got one of these. Works well but small screen and buttons make it a challenge to find the track you want while driving .

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    If your cassette player has a ............plug (Stuff it forget what its called) in the rear of it you dont need the fm transmitter just a cable that plugs between your mp3 and cassette pl;ayer I bought such earliere this week for my BIG truck. Works so fine

Tony
    RCA plugs mebbe?

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Thanks boys. Lots to look for and now I know I'm not searching for the impossible (done too much of that).

As for driving with the radio on, at this point, I'm assuming that the radio works, can't remember the last time I used it ... it is an MG after all and that burbling exhaust is one of the nicer four cylinder exhaust notes ever produced.

Richard