Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Unhappy What do you say?

It has been approximately 18 months since my interest in woodwork, sheds, tools and the forums became an obsession and in this short time I have amassed quite a collection of good stuff. Triton WC, Router table, Jointer and thicknesser, Gifkins (Xmas pressie) etc. Most of my shed time has been spent building stands, storage units, arranging, rearranging, etc for the shed.

Last night I suggested to SWMBO that I really need a bandsaw to resaw the timber I was given a few weeks ago and her reply was ( Drum Roll please) WHEN AND WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE SOMETHING USEFULL COME OUT OF THAT SHED

I was flabbergasted .
    Doesnt she understand the time, equipment and procrastination that is required to establish the shed of one's dreams.

Sheds are not about having to do things, thats work. It's about being able to make it, If I want to make it, in my shed, in my time
    Cheers,

Howdya

Proudly supporting research into the therapeutic benefits of the Friday Thread

ug ugg cava goood place
    smile and the world will smile with you

There is not much that you can really say to that.

Retreat to your shed and crack a stubby. Spend some time perusing The Code Of Practice. As much time as YOU want. It has all the reassurance you 'need' to know that you are right and she is wrong. Go back inside and look at SWMBO. Shake your head sadly, as the poor thing just doesn't get it. I feel sorry for sheila's sometimes....
    Retired member

Quote Originally Posted by Felder View Post
    I feel sorry for sheila's sometimes....
    Is that why we marry them?
    Cheers,

Howdya

Yes. It's a pity thing.
    Retired member

Well, I can see a few options here.

1. Tell her it's none of her business (you may need to be prepared to sleep alone for a while, perhaps some years)
    2. Ask her what would she like? Then make it. (Don't flame me, it's just an option)
    3. Start building a boat, maybe a Haven 12 1/2, that will take a couple of years.
    4. Tell her it's a surprise, but she will love it. Then perhaps start building something for the house or see option 1.

Glad you're enjoying the obsession/hobby.

Tex

Quote Originally Posted by Felder View Post
    Shake your head sadly, as the poor thing just doesn't get it. I feel sorry for sheila's sometimes....
    Fair go guys, it works the other way too ... I KNOW!!!!

HDT, it's your hobby ... tell her to go get her own!!

Tex B, thanks for the advice but option one would leave me with a very squeeky voice

Woodgirl said HDT, it's your hobby ... tell her to go get her own!!
    If you are the type of woman that would accept that answer from a man, still sleep with him and not fatality injure him you will receive numerous proposals today.
    Cheers,

Howdya

It's all about compromise for the betterment of said shed.

Whenever SWMBO asks me to make something for her, I respond with "ok, but to do that I'm going to need to buy a -- insert tool of choice --." Instant permission.
    Last edited by Dr Jan Itor; 24th January 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: some words fell off...

Make very smooth an odd shaped bit of wood, finish it to a high gloss with a UBeaut product, glue some velvet to the base, then with a beaming smile of satisfaction present it to her. When she asks the inevitable "What is it?", answer: "It's a conversation piece for your visitors. Just leave it where it'll be seen and I'll bet your friends make comment!"

soth

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
    It's all about compromise for the betterment of said shed.

Whenever SWMBO asks me to make something for her, I respond with "ok, but to do that I'm going to need to buy a ." Instant permission.
    LEGEND
    Cheers,

Howdya

Buy something from Harvey Norman for now. Tell her that you made it.

Don’t mess around any longer and start making something useful.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Oh you should not lie to your wife. So convince yourself that you really made it first then tell her. If you really believe it then it is not a lie.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

I was always actively involved in what my other half did, be it work or hobby ... it makes for a peaceful (and interesting) life. It just wasn't reciprocal
    What are Mrs HDT's hobbies? Maybe you could interest her in woodwork, get her to do some of the mundane things like sanding , make her feel she's contributing. From my experience, her reaction is all about lack of attention!

Cheers

woodgirl l dont think your getting it a shed is a place for medition to reflect on life to be at peace with ones self say that and everybody will back away slowly and soon you will be able to put a tv in it ,and watch sport and look at your tools at the same time.
    smile and the world will smile with you