Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: S/Steel Cables

Default S/Steel Cables

G'Day chaps,

I am thinking of puting S/Steel cables around my deck. I have read before on this site the info about the sizes and spacings, but couldn't find it again.

If someone could help me out with this, it would be great.

Did find it on another site but it was 60mm spaceings which seem quite small???????

Cheers

Paj,
    there is a new table in the 2006 building code of australia. This replaced the section that just said the spacings had to be less than 125mm. The table has the following variables:

1. wire diameter and lay
    2. space between posts
    3. wire tension in newtons

-this allows you to read out your wire spacings.
    So if you have thick stiff wire with posts close together and high tension you can space them say 110mm apart, but if the wires are thin, loose and the posts far apart you may need to space them at 60mm.

The local building inspector said 100mm would be ok for my application. I don't have a copy of the BCA handy so you could try a library, the local council or the shop you buy the wire from. Miami Stainless is who I've used in the past.

Cheers
    Pulse

I have an issue with steel cables around decks.
    If it is illegal to fix horizontal timber slats because of the danger of children climbing and falling over what is the differance with steel cable?
    I have seen our neighbours kids climb over a 2mtr weldmesh fence no problem so why not steel cable.
    David L
    One of the great crowd beyond the bloom of youth on the Sunshine Coast

David the BCA allows "climbable" balustrades for decks up to 4m high, under 4m they can't stop you using horizontal timber slats.

cheers
    Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I have an issue with steel cables around decks.
    If it is illegal to fix horizontal timber slats because of the danger of children climbing and falling over what is the differance with steel cable?
    I have seen our neighbours kids climb over a 2mtr weldmesh fence no problem so why not steel cable.
    weldmesh stays still (relatively), while SS cable rocks and is much harder to climb than something fixed - think army training over rope ladders!. It also hurts bare feet to climb over SS - shoes off, no problem!