Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pre-Amp Problems???

I have connected a VCR (NEC VN-214) to my computer to record & edit video tapes (home video's of course), however the audio recording is almost non-existent.

I suspect this is because a pre-amp device is required as when installing a turntable pre-amplifying was a necessity. So far, other than vague references (to me) in Dick Smith web sites which have pre-amps in kit form, I am unsure what will be required to correct the problem.

I have checked computer audio settings and all appear to be ok.

I would be grateful is anyone could assist. (Single syllable pleeease).

Regards,
    Bruce101
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

(If you don't try...........you'll never know!)

Not me.

Bruce101,
    I know you've said otherwise but if you are trying to copy commercial movies to cd/dvd don't waste your time, the quality is crap!! Worse than the original tape. DAMHIK. Go out and buy the DVDs

If, however, you are indeed copying home movies and other assorted public domain stuff then it should work without any special equipment other than a VIVO type video card. I know because I've recently done this with a whole bunch of a mates home movies.

You need to patch the sound into your audio inputs of the pc either sound card or motherboard. The only two things that come to mind are that:
    (1) You have a sound card and you've patched to the audio inputs of the motherboard (which should be disabled if you have a soundcard).
    (2) Either way, check the volume controls and make sure that the audio inputs are not either wound way down or disabled.

This is a time consuming exercise, because converting analogue to digital is a real time exercise, so a hour of video takes an hour to dump to your hard drive. Then there's the process of converting this to the DVD and maybe adding menus and chapters etc - can't remember the specifics.

I think I used Nero but it is a bloody TEEEEEEEEEEEDIOUS exercise - won't be volunteering to that again any time soon!!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
    Bruce101,
    I know you've said otherwise but if you are trying to copy commercial movies to cd/dvd don't waste your time, the quality is crap!! Worse than the original tape. DAMHIK. Go out and buy the DVDs

If, however, you are indeed copying home movies and other assorted public domain stuff then it should work without any special equipment other than a VIVO type video card. I know because I've recently done this with a whole bunch of a mates home movies.

You need to patch the sound into your audio inputs of the pc either sound card or motherboard. The only two things that come to mind are that:
    (1) You have a sound card and you've patched to the audio inputs of the motherboard (which should be disabled if you have a soundcard).
    (2) Either way, check the volume controls and make sure that the audio inputs are not either wound way down or disabled.

This is a time consuming exercise, because converting analogue to digital is a real time exercise, so a hour of video takes an hour to dump to your hard drive. Then there's the process of converting this to the DVD and maybe adding menus and chapters etc - can't remember the specifics.

I think I used Nero but it is a bloody TEEEEEEEEEEEDIOUS exercise - won't be volunteering to that again any time soon!!

Ian
    Ian,
    In fact I do intend to convert domestic VCR videos to DVD, however I have been experimenting with tapes from TV.

I will obtain a domestic VCR and try again with this tape ans see if I can get a reasonable audio signal. I have no problems of this type producing my own digital video's for burning to DVD.

Many thanks for your information.

Regards,
    Bruce101
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

For some home videos I did years ago I simply routed the vcr through the digital video camera, quality is pretty ordinary but that was all I had available without putting in a video card/board.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Thanks Iain, I suppose it's an option.
    Bruce101
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
    Bruce101,

Ian
    -------------------------

Ian,
    In case you read this, just thought I'd let you know I solved the problem.

I forgot to consider that a Mono audio system (in this case a VCR), is not readily compatable to a Sterio input (Computer). Problem solved with a $4 adaptor plug from Dick Smith's plugged into the VCR, thence the sterio cables to the computer to transfer the mono signal to both inpur sterio leads. No Problems!

Thanks for your help
    Bruce 101
    Cheers all !!

Bruce