Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Direct stick jarrah boards to board covered in rubberised glue from previous tiles

Hi people

We have just ripped up our horrible floor tiles to replace them with Jarrah boards. The existing particle board floor is covered in rubberised glue from the tiles. What should we do?
    1. Try scrape off the glue?
    2. Try sand off the glue?

OR

3. Can we use another glue to stick the boards down which will adhere to the existing glue?

Please help
    :confused:
    Cheers
    Olivia

I would try scraping making sure you get rid of lumps
    If that is too slow try sanding with 40grit on a disk sander. You will need at least 75% back to clean chip board.

I just had the same deal with lino over pine. Don't even attempt to hit it with a drum floor sander - it will gumm the whole machine up. I ended up getting the bulk of mine off with a flat blade shovel, but there was still a thin layer of goo left. It was pretty hard going. I ended up getting rid of the goo with a detail floor sander and the coursest paper I could get. Be prepared to go through a heap of discs though, they don't work too well after they gum up!

The advice is correct. Get the glue off. It's a real bummer of a job but worth it. i resorted to a heat gun and scraper to get mine clean. It took a few weeks doing a section at a time but was worth the effort.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Default tile glue off particle board

Thanks for the help guys

We are using as scraper to get it off back to the particle board, its going ok but hard work in 34 degree heat

cheers