Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Steel frame kit houses

I couldnt find a place to post this so here goes...

We are presently looking into getting one of those kit homes from the shed companies as an option presently looking at shedco's Eucalyptus design

But I tell you what Im about to tell them to shove it! :mad: ... downloaded their floorplan pdf file and made the alterations as we would need them scanned it and sent it along with some other changes we would need (subfloor and bullnose verandahs) asking for a quote early on the 8th (12.55am to be exact)... and here it is the 14th and still nothing? Do they want to sell these things or what? I mean if its gonna take time to check out and make the quote thats fine just zap an email sayin so and give a time when you will re contact thats not so hard surely? But to get nothin for almost a week?

And yes Ive sent an email to their service dept but am still waiting for a response from them as well

So anyone know of another company with similar type kit homes out there? Oh one that deals with West Aus would be good as Ive found theres some flamin rippers over east but they dont deal in West Aus Im about to change my thoughts on the breezeway type of barn house and get one of those from Ranbuild and be flamin well done! gawd I dislike that design
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Good one Dingo. It's good to hear your voice & i'm sure you think so too !!
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.

did you try their 1300 No and talk to them ....sometimes it easier than emails
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Stuff steel kit homes, what happened to good ol timber, i hope the steel kit homes dont become a new fad theyll be puttin good chippy's out of business

With the price of steel going up every month, I don't think you have to worry...

Bought my shed from Ranbuild - bit more expensive than similar offerings from the others but a bit stronger in the frame and good service from the local distributor (The Shed Team in Bega).

Wouldn't want to live in it though!

Have seen some pics of some homes built into sheds and they look comfortable but still look like a shed from outside
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by ausdesign View Post
    Good one Dingo. It's good to hear your voice & i'm sure you think so too !!
    I wonder how I should take that?

ah well no worries Will have a gander around your site mate and see whats what and get back to you... so you have done jobs for West Aussie?... I ask this cause most of those Ive seen and contacted over east have only done houses for NSW QLD SA and of course Vic their view was that they considered "WA is too far away to give adequate service and to keep please keep us mind if your needs or location changes in the future"
    Anyway thanks fellas
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Yeah, we looked at steel for the big extension. The builder said he would build it in steel, but would not guarantee that we would be happy once it was done. Said it would move, be noisy from the expansion/contraction, and be really difficult to do thiongs with, like putting things on the walls etc.

Plus, I know they don't keep the termites out. Have friends in Bendigo who spent a heap on a steel framed b/v - within 3 months of moving in they had to replace their entire kitchen! Yep, despite externat termite protection, steel frame the little beggars found their way in and chewed through $15,000 worth of new kitchen cabinetry.

Can happen with wood too, of course, but after that, and what our builder said, we are glad we stuck with a timber extension on steel and concrete stumps.
    Think carefully!
    Jeff

have you tried http://www.nusteel.com.au friends of mine purchased one 2 years back and they shipped it way out into the middle of nowhere and from what they told me nusteel would ship anywhere in Australia that you wanted. Also neither of my friends could even handle a screw driver very well but they managed to get this home up on their own with only a contractor coming in to lay the slab and a sparky for the electrics.

There is a SA and NT agent listed on their www site. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers Jeff
    I think its a preference that would would like to build in timber but cant afford the time that it would take to do so... I have one week in three off to do anything so thats the only chance Im going to have to build a house you reckon you could do it?... sure but it would take a couple of years if not more! We need to get another house up so we can move out of this health trap as soon as possible... and I aint no Jill and her hubby I can tell you!!

The flood has left much of the house with serious problems that cant be resolved the house wasnt that crash hot when we bought it but thought we would get the time to do the renos before any problems... but with the flood and subsequent storms this year its not had enough time to dry out properly and well its not only warping badly cracks splits jams and such one of the bedroom windows fell out yesty young fella went to slide it across to shut it and down it came the water has from the look of that end of the house been leaking down the walls for many years and with the flood it just sat there... the stumpers when they lifted part of the house did so before the ground had settled and so now theres parts of the house that have dropped and other parts that are hard with no give at all some of the floor boards are gettin nice and loose as well water ingress and use while damp will do that so Ive heard... theres also mould turnin up in some interesting places... so we need to get another house up quick smart so we can pull this one down.

Steel frame design will give us a house in quicker time than a builder can get one up (presently taking 12 - 18months or longer to build here) with some serious wall and ceiling insulation we should be able to get rid of most of the railway noises that an some serious hedging!... it will still need to be up on stumps so the sub frame girders will be a pre-requisite

Thanks for the link Chris will send em an "Im interested send me more!" message and see what happens... they reckon they respond on the day they recieve it so here goes!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    Cheers Jeff
    Thanks for the link Chris will send em an "Im interested send me more!" message and see what happens... they reckon they respond on the day they recieve it so here goes!Cheers!
    I hope you get a reply as they state, keep us informed as to their service please. These friends of mine like I said could barley use a screw driver yet they managed to build this home them selves way out in the bush, they went to their plot of dirt every weekend from the city and had the home up in about 4-5 months. I went out one day to say hi to them and see how it was going and was impressed by the plans and how this kit went together, was like putting a mechano set together, part "A" with place "A" etc and they delivered the kit in stages as needed. The only real tools they needed and from memory I think they were supplied with the kit they purchased was several spanners, sockets, a screw driver or 2 and 2 HD cordless drills and driver bits. In real terms if this couple could do what they did and build this kit home anyone could. As I stated the only work they got pro's to do was the slab and electrics as they chose a slab based home.

Hope all goes well

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun04 View Post
    Stuff steel kit homes, what happened to good ol timber, i hope the steel kit homes dont become a new fad theyll be puttin good chippy's out of business
    For a good good chippy, this would just be an extension to the trade and the chippy's versatility. I'm a chippy and I've just finished erecting my steel framed house. In another time I built my own brick house - I laid the bricks.

Its only a week. The house design you have chosen is sitting a slab. But you want to have it raised on a subfloor on piers which would have to be designed, engineered and costed... takes time. However they could have advised or you could have asked how long it will take.

I've just erected my steel famed house - our design (380 square metres). Master Truss were the successful company. Delivery time was 4 weeks being 2 weeks to produce the engineered drawings/plans then and 2 weeks fabrication and delivery of all the wall frames and trusses. One of the blokes who fabricated the frames had to come on-site to install a door opening that they failed to install in the factory, He said that there was only two of em working on my job - one on the walls and one on the trusses and they done em in 9 days which I thought was pretty bloody good.

Yes mate that was what I would have thought but no big problem I will give em a hoi and find out what gives... probably say "what email? we didnt get an email" anyways onwards and upwards!

So Rod was that your own design or a company design? okay duhhh moment there it is right in front of my noggin "Master Trusses" cheers!... okay after quick sticky beack on google no web address! Could you post some contact info Rod? cheers mate

At present were looking at PAAL in NSW unfortunately they have a website but dont have email just fax and phone or come visit! :eek: ah well no problems a bit of a yarn on the blower

Okay update with PAAL in NSW... they apparently dont deliver to WA even though one of their testimonies is from a couple in Kunnunnarra but the girls view was that the cost of transport would increase the price by somewhere around $20 - $30000 but shes gonna get one of the sales people to ring me back... ooh and although theres no email contact on their site for anyone else looking a little FYI its: [email protected]

Okay next call... sigh

Okay re: shedco... the 1300 number seems to have worked to a small degree... at least Ive spoken to a bloke in NSW!! Now the emails been sent to their WA sales bloke and their sales department AND to their bloke in NSW!! wonder whos next? gotta love it!

onwards and upwards!

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    For a good good chippy, this would just be an extension to the trade and the chippy's versatility. I'm a chippy and I've just finished erecting my steel framed house. In another time I built my own brick house - I laid the bricks.
    I became a Chippy to work with Timber not Steel otherwise i would be a metal worker if i liked metal.

Wild Dingo try this. Cheers Rod

http://www.nash.asn.au/suppliersWAFrames.php